Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen (physical Memory Dump)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dancedance

dancedance

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi all,

I have been having continual issues with my Compaq Presario 2199US laptop. It has a 2.12 Ghz processor, 40GB Hard drive, 512MB RAM. I recently took it to the Geek Squad to upgrade RAM and for some reason PNY RAM would not allow my computer to boot up. So we put the orginal RAM back into the computer and called it a day. I have reformatted my computer several times trying to get a working system.

This most recent reformat was working well for a couple of days until yesterday when I got the infamous blue screen physical memory dump information. I rebooted, sent my error report, and subsequently received another warning---this happened at least 3-4 times, until I finally gave up.

My question is two-fold. First: Should I reformat again? Second: Does anyone have any advice before I reformat. I checked blackviper.com for some tweaks, and got reformatting procedures (even though I've done this myself a few times) from theeldergeek.com.

Maybe I've been doing something wrong all along?
When I reformat, I delete current partitions and then install on the main one---I then choose NTFS (quick).

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

I have seen issues with PNY RAM not being compatible with other RAM modules - but none with the RAM not being compatible with the PC itself (although it is possible if the RAM hasn't been listed as compatible by Compaq).

As for the BSOD, we'll need the information from it in order to troubleshoot the problem. Use this link to find out how to find the info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491 Further on in that post is a technique for generating an analysis - if you can do that and post the results it will be even more helpful. From this info we should be able to get started with troubleshooting the error message.

When you "reformatted" your computer - how did you install the operating system? Did you do it with a Compaq Restore/Recovery CD? Or was it with a Windows XP CD? If it was with a Windows XP CD, did you install all the hardware drivers?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dancedance

dancedance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

I will check out that analysis program when I get back to the troubled computer this afternoon. As for the installation, I did install XP from a recovery disk that came with my Compaq (along with the Drivers disk as well). Thinking back on it, I believe I may have unselected certain software drivers/applications that were unnecessary, should I let it install everything this time?

Will post later with analysis information.

Thanks for your help and fast reply!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Yes, I'd let it install everything and see if it fixes the problem. If the system gives you a BSOD it should generate new information that will be more relevant than any errors from before the reinstallation was done.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dancedance

dancedance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

I'll see if I can get the current analysis information and post that, in case this problem is rooted a little deeper than I think. I would love to get this computer working properly again, and then eventually find some compatible RAM. Again, I really appreciate your help with this and will be in touch soon!

#6 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

If you like I can run a debugger on the minidump files.

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. %systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "UPLOAD" green tab here (newly created) in the reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Considering the history of the problem -- it would be a good idea to test the ram your self. Start by just removing and reseating it. On a laptop this is very easy -- but shutdown of course and remove the battery. It's just one or two set screws to open the ram cover.

You can also run a software checker on it:

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

The ISO file you download for this should normally be opened with a burning program like Nero or Roxio -- but others can do the job. You do not just burn these like ordinary files

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 26 September 2007 - 04:53 PM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#7 dancedance

dancedance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:32 PM

Hi Rollin' Rog:
Attached is the zipped folder with the last few .dmp files...
I have not been able to run the software memory checks. I do not have a CD burning program yet since the reformat.

I hope this might give you enough information to be able to diagnose. Thank you in advance for your time and advice! I really appreciate it!

Attached Files

#8 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

Well they are all the same. They are pointing to an issue with the hard drive:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)
The requested page of kernel data could not be read in. Typically caused by
a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. Also see
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.
If the error status is 0xC000000E, 0xC000009C, 0xC000009D or 0xC0000185,
it means the disk subsystem has experienced a failure.
If the error status is 0xC000009A, then it means the request failed because
a filesystem failed to make forward progress.
Arguments:
Arg1: e187f534, lock type that was held (value 1,2,3, or PTE address)
Arg2: c000000e, error status (normally i/o status code)
Arg3: bf93dbd7, current process (virtual address for lock type 3, or PTE)
Arg4: 12bc4860, virtual address that could not be in-paged (or PTE contents if arg1 is a PTE address)

Debugging Details:

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - A device which does not exist was specified.

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7a_c000000e

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 7

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: COMMON_SYSTEM_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: logon.scr

Since this is a laptop it would be a good idea to just remove and reseat the drive for starters. Not really hard to do.

Then run chkdsk on it.

http://www.housing.hawaii.edu/resources/support/chkdsk.htm

In XP the chkdsk log is available after reboot in the Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc) > Applications > Winlogon entry.

You can also try clearing the paging file by following the directions here though not they were not made specifically for this error:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810093

>> Also, while I don't believe ram is suspect here, if you would like a freebee burner that can burn ISO files -- I would recommend the portable burner from this site:

http://www.deepburner.com/index.php?r=download

It does not automatically associate ISO files with its ISO burn -- so you have to specifically chose that mode from its Project Type options
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#9 dancedance

dancedance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for all of your help so far! I am currently working on the check disk operation. Step 5 of 5 is taking quite a long time.

I'll work on those other steps as soon as this is complete.

Will let you know how things go!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:52 AM

If the chkdsk passes without errors then, since this is an error with the disk subsystem, I'd suggest downloading a hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive. That'll let you know if this is a symptom of the hard drive starting to die.

#11 dancedance

dancedance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

Well, here's a new development:
I ran the ckdsk last night, and it was about 40% completed in step 5 of 5. Couldn't wait up for it any longer.
When I checked it this morning the computer was off and if I turned it on it would flash the initial screen that reads "Compaq" and then I could hear the computer working but the screen went black. Eventually it powered itself down.

Not sure what to do next.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

Here's a link to the most common "black screen" error in XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

I would still advise that you get a free diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and use it to test your hard drive. You'll (obviously) have to do this on another computer since you can't access Windows in yours. You'll be looking to download a bootable CD image for the DOS version of the diagnostic and will have to burn it to a CD using an ISO burner (but there should be instructions on the manufacturer's website on how to do this). This will boot the computer into a DOS-like environment and will run the tests without the need to load Windows.

Worst case, let us know the make of your hard drive and we'll point you to the appropriate links.

#13 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

Do you have an installation CD for this computer that would allow you to load the Recovery Console?

It's a bit odd that the computer would power down after a while ... how long?

Both chkdsk and fixmbr can be run from the Recovery Console if you can load it.

I can point you to a link that a fellow member on another tech site has made which will provide an ISO file you can use to create the recovery console disk:

If you do not have an XP CD download rc.iso from Elvandil's post here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...tml#post4622868

Burn the .iso file to CD. With Nero or Roxio you should only need to "open" the file and it will start the burner's ISO burning program.

DeepBurner can also be used to burn ISO files, I recommend the "portable" version:

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

Once that is done, you need to boot with either that or the XP installation CD to the Recovery Console. You may need to ensure that the CD drive is the first boot drive in the BIOS setup if it just boots to the same screen. Setup is accessed by looking for the key to press on the first data you see on the screen -- often F2

Also, at this point I would certainly be thinking about data recovery and obtaining a new hard drive. One thing you can do is get an IDE to USB converter -- most handle Laptops as well as standard drives -- and you can connect the drive to a desktop computer's USB port. That will allow you to access it like any other "usb" drive and you may be able to recover data since you are not actually booting with the drive.

They are not too expensive

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 28 September 2007 - 10:04 AM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users