Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Hard Drive Salvageable?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 302Xplorer

302Xplorer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:46 AM

Hello all!

My sister just bought a new computer because her old one was throwing a "Smart Failure Predicted" message at start up, which made the PC just about useless. I helped her retrieve all of her files from her my documents folder, so she gave me the old PC so that I can salvage any of the hardware for myself. I have since formatted the hard drive and am still getting the error message at start up.

My questions are:
1. Is there any hope for this Drive?
and
2. What other hardware might be of use to me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ted

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:43 AM

Hey Ted, :thumbsup: the forums!!

"smart failure predicted" its quite ironic, in that it doesen't give you any usefull info!! Anyhow this is quite a critical message, if the HDD hasen't already failed it will soon. Luckly you managed to retereive the data. Anyhow seeing that you sister now has a new machine, I'd consider filing the HDD to the bin or use as a door stop.

With regards to the remainder of your sister's old machine there will be a load of bits you can retreive, screws, blanking plates, cabeling along with the usual, memory, modem cards, etc.

Hope that helps!!

Edited by FireKracker, 26 September 2007 - 06:44 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

If you have the original installation disc and product code for the operating system just purchase another hdd and install the OS and you would have another computer. Unless you are doing computer repairs there isn't much reason to collect old parts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 302Xplorer

302Xplorer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:35 AM

If you have the original installation disc and product code for the operating system just purchase another hdd and install the OS and you would have another computer. Unless you are doing computer repairs there isn't much reason to collect old parts.

This is one of the reasons she had to buy a new computer. She figured that she could save some bucks buy purchasing the Costco floor model, big mistake. She didn't realize that it did not have it's boot disk, until much later. I made sure her new PC had the disk.

Anyway, I'm just glad I was able to salvage all of her "My Documents" folder and got a stick of 512 ram out of her old PC. 768 megs of ram, I'm cooking w/ gas now! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the help and I'm glad to be on the board.

Ted

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

It actually depends on which of the SMART attributes were "tripped" - some may be able to be adjusted/fixed by using programs like SpinRite. Other options are to take it apart and see what you can fix (very risky, but then again you've got nothing to lose). Nice link on this here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1035/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users