Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Office Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Precious

Precious

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:12 AM

My MS Office has all of a sudden stopped working and everytime i try opening excel or anythig, it comes up with a installation box saying

"Please wait while windows configures office xp with frontpage".. then it asks for the office installation CD (i dont have it with me as of now) and so i am not able to use the MS Office. Any help anyone??

And as i said it started happening overnight. It was working before that. And if thats now wierd enough, if i open the excel when its asking for the installation cs, excel (or anyother MS office application )will open.

Thanks
Amit

Edited by Precious, 26 September 2007 - 03:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:16 AM

There is a Microsoft article that deals with this problem:

You receive a "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office XP Pro" error message when you upgrade to Office 2003 or Office 2007
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Precious

Precious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the reply, however, i havent upgraded my office for over, atleast 6 months.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:23 AM

Did you change anything in the Start menu before this problem occurred?

This problem occurs if the Office XP shortcuts have been moved to a different location than the All Programs menu, where they are installed by default. For example, after you install Office XP you create a new subfolder (perhaps named Microsoft Office Apps) and move the Office XP shortcuts to the new subfolder.

When a program is used, a shortcut is created on the Most Recently Used (MRU) area of the Start menu. The shortcut on the MRU links to the shortcut in the new subfolder (Microsoft Office Apps in this example). When you upgrade to Office 2003 or Office 2007, Setup assumes shortcuts for previous Office versions will be located on the All Programs menu. Therefore, Setup does not find the shortcuts in the custom subfolder. Additionally, Setup does not update the shortcuts on the MRU. The shortcuts on the MRU list will still point to the previous version of the Office program.

This problem does not occur when you use the Classic version of the Start menu because the Classic Start menu does not have an MRU list.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Precious

Precious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:28 AM

I did install a few programs to clean up my computer. But then this problem was before these things were installed. SO my answer would be no. Please.. PLease help me...

Thanks
Amit

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:45 AM

Does the problem occur if you try different ways to open any Office application?
  • Desktop Icons
  • Start Menu
  • Double-click a file (Word or Excel file for example)

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Precious

Precious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:51 AM

Ya thats right. If i open it by going to the start menu, or by double clicking or even if i try opening it by doing a right click on the desktop and then choosing any office application. And as i said the only time i am able to open the application is when i still have that installation cd dialogue box open and i go to start menu and click any office application.

#8 Precious

Precious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:10 AM

Can someone out there please help me with this... :thumbsup:

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:18 AM

I'm pretty much out of ideas. You could try creating a new shortcut in the Start meun and see if the problem occurs when using that. What happened to your Office disk?

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Precious

Precious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

I really wanted to thank you for trying to help me. I got my disk and have sorted the problem by completing the installation. Thanks again mate.

Cheers,
Amit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users