Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating = Slowdown?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pavones

Pavones

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hi there,

I previously posted in a malware forum, and that actually helped with the internet part, but the problem persists:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/106551/computer-slows-to-a-crawl-after-internet-connection-made/

This happens after a certain amount of time, not exactly repeatable, but close to 10 minutes or so. The program, whatever it is (firefox, ie, acrobat, photoshop, etc.) will slow down response time for things that *should* be instantaneous. i.e. clicking from one tab to another in firefox.

I've noticed that it happens more often if I try to view a video online or offline.

There are no error messages, but the slowdown is so bad that I cannot work on the machine anymore, so I set it to hibernate. If I let it sit for a while and turn it back on, it runs fine and snappy for a while, then slows down again. Simply typing in this text window becomes unbearably slow, till I hibernate and let it cool off.

I have downloaded speedfan and EVEREST to try to guage temperatures and they say about 42-44. When I play a video, it goes up to 46-7, then everything slows. Even after the temp reverts to 42, the computer stays slow.

As mentioned in the topic above, I've already put new thermal goop on the CPU. (maybe I didn't put enough?)

I'm wondering if it's the CPU or perhaps the graphics processor overheating? I looked at the mobo (not easy on a laptop) and didn't see the Nvidia chip offhand or another cooled chip other than the p4.

Thoughts?

thanks,
dean
ACER Aspire 5630 2gig ram, 160gig HD, XP sp3, Firefox, AVGfree
(2) Toshiba Satellite 2455-s305 laptops, 768MB ram and 512MB, 60Gig HDs, WinXP SP2, Firefox/Thunderbird, AVGFree, Adaware2007, Spybot SD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

How much RAM do you have, and how much free space do you have on you hdd? If your hdd is too full you lose the swap space needed for it to navigate and will slow down when programs that require more resources than normal, this is exasperated with a low amount of RAM.

Another thing to check is if the computer is clean inside, look for accumulated dust on the CPU heat sink and fan assembly, if you see dust bunnies inside it is time to clean it out. Canned air from you local computer shop will work well for this. Also check to see if the grill for the air intake is clean.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

"As mentioned in the topic above, I've already put new thermal goop on the CPU. (maybe I didn't put enough?)"

This is one time where less is more. You need just a small drop, spread thinly over the processor. Was the heatsink/tube reinstalled securely?
When it starts to slow down, open up Task Manager and see what all is running
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

How much RAM do you have, and how much free space do you have on you hdd? If your hdd is too full you lose the swap space needed for it to navigate and will slow down when programs that require more resources than normal, this is exasperated with a low amount of RAM.

Another thing to check is if the computer is clean inside, look for accumulated dust on the CPU heat sink and fan assembly, if you see dust bunnies inside it is time to clean it out. Canned air from you local computer shop will work well for this. Also check to see if the grill for the air intake is clean.

768 MB ram
5,83 Gigs free on HD

probably shouldn't be a problem, right?

When I took it apart to add more silver goop i blew it out with one of those air cans.

Thanks for the tips... any other ideas?
(2) Toshiba Satellite 2455-s305 laptops, 768MB ram and 512MB, 60Gig HDs, WinXP SP2, Firefox/Thunderbird, AVGFree, Adaware2007, Spybot SD

#5 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

"As mentioned in the topic above, I've already put new thermal goop on the CPU. (maybe I didn't put enough?)"

This is one time where less is more. You need just a small drop, spread thinly over the processor. Was the heatsink/tube reinstalled securely?
When it starts to slow down, open up Task Manager and see what all is running
Mark

Hmmmm. I must say that the quantity squeezed onto the CPU was NOT a drop, and more like a free form Jackson Pollock painting with swirls and circles. There is likely WAY too much paste.

Any Ideas on how to clean it off other than wipe with a lint free towel of some kind?

I'll pull it apart and re-apply. Thanks.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

I used Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a paper towel. Seem to work ok.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users