Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Windows Security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah8503

Sarah8503

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

the windows security keeps popping up telling my that my windows firewall is off, and that my windows defender is off. I turn the fire wall back on, and it won't let me turn the windows defender back on. It keeps doing this every time I restart.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 John Thomson

John Thomson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:23 PM

I just spent a total of 10+ hours, and looking for more time with tech guys from India who work for a major AV suite-- they had remote control of my computer and I had the same problem.

The Windows Firewall could not get turned on, and that would not let their own firewall activate.

They said that

1) Anything from Symantec could be the problem because the apps all share some of the same kernels.

2) I had AVG, a free anti virus, and I uninstalled it via control panel. Nevertheless, they said that it still was running in memory. How??? I simply repeat his comments to me

To fix the problem, he did everything EXCEPT a new formatting and fresh install of XP. Now it is in the hands of a senior tier tech for resolving. Perhaps this may help you , getting rid of all Symantec programs (for a while) and your AV software. DISCONNECT YOUR INTERNET CABLE AS YOU DO THIS AS A CAUTION

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

You can get rid of the Symantec stuff and the AVG stuff manually - but it'll take a lot of work just to figure out how to get rid of it. And easier route would be to reformat your system and reinstall Vista - then you'll be able to get things running properly and will have the benefit of a fresh install to work with.

Don't forget to backup your stuff before you reformat! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:12 PM

i googled search this , and if you have AIM or Viewpoint Media Player, it could do this to your computer.

I fixed mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users