Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Menu Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlessedBeMe

BlessedBeMe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

Greetings All, Can anyone tell me how to stop a program from automatically starting when I boot up my pc? Thanks, BlessedBeMe :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

Sure :thumbsup:.

You can use a program like AutoRuns for Windows v8.73 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...wt.svl=whatsnew to find all of them and to also disable or remove them (from Startup).

Louis

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

If you have Spy-Bot S&D installed, you can also use their system start up tool. This shows you what is loading at start up. You can then either disable or delete entries you do not require.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

You might also want to check the offending program and see if there's an option there
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

Really nothing more user friendly than free WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/

Right click the little scotty dog in the system tray and choose "Startup info." A list of everything set to start automatically will be presented. Select the program or process that you want to control with a single left click to highlight, and then push the "Disable" button at the lower right. Done. The entry is not removed from the list, and will function normally when started manually. If you want to turn it back on for auto-start, just return to the list, click it, and now it is an "Enable" button. WinPatrol will even disable itself! Scotty also acts as a basic system monitor giving you choices when stuff happens without your knowledge--like applications setting thmselves to auto-start.

For what I have learned about controlling my processes, with web addresses of useful tools and informational sites, see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/ The "links" are not "live." To view the referenced pages, copy and paste the URLs to your browser address bar. No ads, no spyware, nothing to buy (or donate) just info.
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users