Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting To Reinstall New Os

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 teddy01

teddy01

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

I NEED SOMEONE TO GUIDE ME REGARDING REFORMATTING MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALLING NEW OPERATING SYSTEM. I HAVE AN OPERATING SYSTEM PROBLEM. IT IS NOT WORKING ANYMORE. I KNOW THAT REFORMATTING MY HARD DRIVE AND RE INSTALLING OS IS ONE OF THE SOLUTION BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT. I'M USING PENTIUM 4 PROCESSOR COMPUTER. I NEED HELP..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

The best way would be to FDISK the drive first with a ME bootdisk repartition the drive, Set the CD drive to the first boot device in the BIOS. then boot to the OS CD. That way you don't run the risk of having 2 copies on the drive. Be sure to have your drivers disk(s)
http://fdisk.radified.com/guide
That's if you have a XP disk. If you have a store bought computer with a pre-installed OS, there are a few other ways. What is the make/model of your computer?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hi teddy01. Please do not post in ALL CAPS. This is the equivalent of shouting.

What method are you going to use to reinstall the OS?
Restore CDs ?
XP Installation CDs ?
Recovery CDs ?
BIOS driven Restore or Recovery ?

All the methods either require that the hard drive be repartitioned (thus wiped) and reformatted, or give you the options to do this. You do not have to do this as a separate operation.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

I would just use the XP CD or restore CD to wipe the hard drive, format the system, and do the install.

Whichever you have, all you have to do is follow the instructions which accompany such.

I still don't understand why some persons use floppies and fdisk...when there is no need for either today (very often).

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2007 - 01:42 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

Like I said. That way you won't end up with 2 XP's on the drive, it happens
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

Yes, that's why I want to know if teddy01 has an XP Installation CD. If he has more than 1 (primary) partition and an XP Installation CD, then the default XP install will put another XP installation on the other partition (How stupid can MS get?!). The user has to be aware of this and know to bounce around the installation menus to avoid doing this by mistake. He most likely doesn't want to wipe any additional partitions on that drive by wiping the whole hard drive.

Edited by WinCrazy, 25 September 2007 - 06:52 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:33 AM

A double install of any Windows O/S...can only happen if the original partition (with the O/S) is not deleted before creating a new partition. I believe the original poster indicated that this was to be a clean install.

Which can be accomplished by using the XP CD...which is what FDISK does from a floppy.

I guess that I'm lazy and just use the XP CD to do it all...delete, create, then install.

Louis

#8 S.Mohankumar

S.Mohankumar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

I NEED SOMEONE TO GUIDE ME REGARDING REFORMATTING MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALLING NEW OPERATING SYSTEM. I HAVE AN OPERATING SYSTEM PROBLEM. IT IS NOT WORKING ANYMORE. I KNOW THAT REFORMATTING MY HARD DRIVE AND RE INSTALLING OS IS ONE OF THE SOLUTION BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT. I'M USING PENTIUM 4 PROCESSOR COMPUTER. I NEED HELP..

Hi

Pls check it @ windowsreinstall.com

#9 S.Mohankumar

S.Mohankumar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hi Check in @ windowsreinstall.com

Cheers
S.Mohankumar.

#10 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

A double install of any Windows O/S...can only happen if the original partition (with the O/S) is not deleted before creating a new partition.

Why would anyone delete a patition without recreating one again from the empty room again ? Then, if the new install is put there then there will be 2 installations which will cause a dual-boot situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users