Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Monitor Wont Come On

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lizi

lizi

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

Basically i just tried to turn on my other computer and the blue light on the tower thing came on to tell me it was on and it was making the usual noises...e.g the fan and things... but the monitor would not come on so i pushed the button to turn it off and on again and all things such as 'fujitsu siemens, intel processor or something, and then 'no signal going to sleep' came up so theres no problem with the power on it. So i hooked it up to the monitor i am using on this computer and a black page came up with a white blinking _. So i put in my windows xp recovery disk and then switched it back on and this time it when through this bit ....http://www.stardock.com/Kristin/WCfornewb9/XPBootScreenStandard.jpg...and then just switched its self off again.

So i went downstairs and asked my mum if she had been on the computer today and she said yes, but just as she was going to her emails the system crashed and turned off and the screen wouldnt come back on.

Im not sure if this is a virus or what so could someone please help :thumbsup:

thanks, lizi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lizi

lizi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

oh and also if you can fix it and it will mean loosing everything on the computer is there anyway i can back up my C drive without the monitor? probably a stupid question!

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:21 PM

A quick Google search reveals that Stardock is a XP Mod program that allows you to customize windows XP. Stardock.com. Does this sound familiar? When trying your windows recovery cd does the computer boot from the cd? What kind of computer is it, Dell, Gateway, HP , Compaq or a custom build? If you can boot from the windows CD you can try a repair install follow this Tutorial. A repair install will not format the HDD and you will have all of your files still there.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:42 PM

Nice one Sneaky!

Lizi >> it looks like you have a program installed that changes the look (skins) of your computer when it boots, this program has come from a company called Stardock. It looks as if it has upset your normal booting of windows.

My advice would be to boot into Windows via the SAFE MODE.
- Do this by pressing the F8 key while your pc is booting (as soon as you switch on your computer).
- Windows will then load (safe mode) but will look a little odd, this is normal.
- When in windows uninstall the Stardock program, with a bit of luck your PC should then be up and running.

Hope that helps!!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 lizi

lizi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

hey guys thanks, my dad called some guy the night of my post anyway so its being fixed by someone, but itried your suggestions anyway but even pressin f8 wouldnt do it, it just said 'no signal, going to sleep' again. hopefully the man coming will fix it. but just incase you were wondering sneaky...i have a fujitsu siemens computer. and nothing happened with the recovery disk.

BUT new problem!!

i had a w32/RJump worm earlier but my antivirus has told me it removed it, now i cant access my C: drive!! please help i need to enter it asap! i know this isnt the right topic board but im in a hurry! please help!

Edited by lizi, 27 September 2007 - 03:19 PM.

#6 lizi

lizi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

oh thoguht i'd give a bit more info on the c: drive....when i click it it says open with: then gives me a lsit of programs, i know this isnt normal so yep... and also when i right click it it comes up with all characters such as etc...thaks!

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

Your best option would be a HJT log and analysis in the virus forums.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 lizi

lizi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:59 AM

Hey thanks, i posted the details on the virus board and its all cleared up now, thank you for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users