Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unauthorized Sharing Of Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SiLvErH4wK

SiLvErH4wK

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:37 AM

Intel Core 2
2 GB RAM
XP Pro

Master and Slave HD's are shared and can't be changed!

Here's the Sharing Tab Info in the drives properties:
Local Disk ( C: ) Properties
"Share this folder" is selected
"Share name" is: C$
"Comment" is: Default share
"User limit" is: Maximum allowed
"Permissions" cannot be accessed. A window appears that says, "This has been shared for administrative purposes. The permissions cannot be set."
"Caching" is enabled.

When I try and select: "Do not share this folder" I get the following message: " This share was created for administrative purposes only. The share will reappear when the Server service is stopped and restarted or the computer is rebooted. Are you sure you wish to stop sharing C$? "

The same goes for the slave drive. What "Server service" is the warning referring to? Any ideas??
Is this a security breach? Has the system been hijacked and/or compromised?

Or is all this normal for some reason? :thumbsup:

Edited by SiLvErH4wK, 25 September 2007 - 01:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:53 AM

I found the following on Microsoft's website. It's for Windows 2000 but I assume it's the same for XP.

Windows 2000 maintains default administrative shares that cannot be removed permanently. The shares have a dollar sign ($) suffix, are invisible to network browsing, and are only accessible to accounts with administrator privileges on the particular machine. You can disable these shares, but only for the current session. When you restart Windows 2000, the shares will be re-enabled. You cannot change the permissions on these shares anytime.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...6.mspx?mfr=true
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 SiLvErH4wK

SiLvErH4wK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:11 AM

Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users