Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only Have Free Avg Anti-spyware V.7.5, Do I Need To Install Other Things?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gneb

gneb

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:42 PM

hi! i only have the free AVG anti-spyware 7.5 installed. do i need to download other stuff to be safe? before, it was ok for me, but yesterday i experienced a blue-screen on my computer so i'm getting worried.. it's a good thing though that when i restarted my computer, it's working good again. by the way, i'm using firefox as my browser so do you guys have safety precautions also for that like the one for internet explorer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:03 AM

I've had a similar question. I also have AVG free edition; why, or what do I get, for upgrading to the paid edition? But, more to the point, I've read (in PC Magazine, I think) that AVG is only about 5th or 6th down in their opinion as to the best virus catcher. (One columnist, however, liked AVG best, and used it himself). Also, I've heard that you are not supposed to have two or more different anti-virus programs on your computer at the same time. (Or, is it spyware blocker, or ad remover, or firewall, or what it is that you're not supposed to have 2 or more of?)

Anyway, since my AVG updates itself daily, and no other virus catchers appear to do that, it would seem to me that being up-to-date on virus definitions should take precedence over the method that the program uses.

In summary, I probably didn't help you answer your question at all, and this was a useless post. However, I thought I would put my two cents' worth in, just for grins.

#3 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:35 AM

:thumbsup: yeah, i thought you're my life-saver there.. but at least somebody replied :flowers:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:01 AM

Do you have an Antivirus installed?
Do you run online virus scans occasionally?
Do you have a Firewall installed?
Only run ONE antivirus.
Only run ONE firewall.

If AVG anti-spyware is the only anti-spyware program you use, I would, at least, install another one.
You can find several good ones listed in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, under the Spyware Removal heading.

There is no single antivirus/spyware program, that will catch everything.
That's why it's a good idea to run "layered protection".

Also have a look at our tutorial:
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
That should answer a lot of your questions.

For Firefox, here's a couple of extensions, that will help, to keep you out of trouble:
NoScript - allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content only for trusted domains of your choice, e.g. your home-banking web site.
McAfee Siteadvisor - a downloadable tool that works with Firefox to help you:
Stay safe while you browse
Stay safe while you search
Click to see a site's report page.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:19 PM

ok thanks! i just hope i'm not too lazy enough to regularly scan my pc

#6 -Tarra-

-Tarra-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:38 AM

ok thanks! i just hope i'm not too lazy enough to regularly scan my pc

Most Anti Virus programs allow you to schedule a scan. I recommend you to try this. Or maybe write it on a post it note and stick it to your screen. Thast what I used to to :thumbsup: :flowers:
" Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell " (: .

EVEN THE GARDEN OF EDEN WAS JUST A BIG FANCY CAGE.
YOU'LL BE A SLAVE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IF YOU DON'T BITE THE APPLE

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:23 AM

The best anti-malware applications are only as good as the definitions are current because new threats appear daily. Keeping up-to-date, either automatically or manually, then, is essential for your computer's security. Making a schedule of routine maintenance, and following it, is important. This includes a thorough scan of your computer's hard drive in addition to whatever real-time protection your arsenal of applications affords.
At the present, there is no universal and clear definition of what constitutes spyware; each company has slightly different criteria, and their applications will therefore look for different things. Having at least two of the better products increases the chance that spyware on your hard drive will be detected.

Here is the breakdown of what you need:
1. One AV with real time protection
2. One firewall
3. At least two anti-spyware applications. Depending on your configuration, you may elect to have both provide real-time protection, or just one of them (the other should be scheduled for a manual scan).
4. All Microsoft critical updates should be installed.

I would only add that using Firefox and Thunderbird inherently increase your computer's security.

Hope this helps.
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 October 2007 - 07:26 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users