Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Xp Computer Powers Off Randomly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:33 PM

Computer is AMD FX-62 with NVIDIA 7950 card and 750W power supply. Purchased in August, 2006. Processor and video card have been overclocked by a "boutique" vendor. Running XP2 updated with all patches. No power-saving options are enabled. About once a month, this computer just randomly powers itself off, usually in the middle of the night when it is idling. Event logs show nothing abnormal. Vendor suggested removing the powered USB hub, which had no effect on problem. Running an APC SmartUPS 1500W which shows only 37% usage. Any ideas? Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:43 PM

About that time did you install any programs, or utilities? They may be powering down your computer after updating.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

No, these power downs don't follow any installations. They have been going on for many months and I have just been living with them. But occasionally the abnormal Windows shutdown corrupts something on disk, and I have had to rebuild it from a full backup on some occasions, so this is really getting to be a problem. Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:59 AM

Check Event Viewer on such occasions?

Louis

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

With these random 'power offs' you have to be carefull, a computer closing down improperly will cause damage to your hard drive and data (which you have been experiencing).

My suggestion to you is that:
- Do you have all of your data backed up?
- Is it possible that your system is overheating?
- Are you able to change power supplies for another to eliminate the power supply?

Hope this helps to a point.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for your replies. The Event Viewer shows nothing abnormal before these power offs. I have an ASUS M2N32-SLIDeluxe motherboard, which I think has an overheating sensor which has never alerted. The case does not feel hot to the touch either. I backup everything automatically every night, thank goodness. The "boutique" vendor did not think it was a bad power supply, and was reluctant to send me a replacement. I do not have a spare I can swap. They did suggest I temporarily abandon the UPS and use a surge suppressor strip as a test - does that make any sense? Anything else? :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:36 PM

Well, as I understand it...the basic problem with overclocking a system is that all bets are off, as far as how the system is supposed to run.

For me (and others) sitting at our systems...all we can do is speculate.

I would start with the power settings in XP and the power supply itself, if it were me. Surely, you know someone with a system where you can temporarily swap power supplies and narrow the search down.

Louis

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

Yup I'd agree with louis, get you system stripped right down the basics, that means resetting your system back to the factory defaults, check all windows settings, remove the ups and then if non of them work swap over power supplies.

Hope that works mate!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users