Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Important Are Matched Sets Of Ram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

I would like to add one gig of crucial to my amd athlon 3500. I only have two 256 sticks installed and would like to know if it is ok to just buy only a one gig stick instead of two 512's. I would like but can't afford the 2 sticks of one gig ram right now. If I upgrade later to another gig, would there be a problem because of not buying a kit. Will having one empty slot out of 4 make the system run that much slower or will I not notice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

939 supported dual channel

754 not

get 2 512's if you have a 939 but make sure it is as fast or faster than the 256's

what's your motherboard?

everest home can tell us
http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

under computer/overclock

it will also tell you the specs of your current ram and how it is running
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

It's my mother-in-law's and I don't have access to it at the moment. It is an Acer Aspire T180. I don't care if I lose a hair of performance right now. I would rather forego some performance right now and buy another I gig stick later on in the future and not throw away small sticks of ram in order to upgrade again. So, if a 1 gig stick will work ok for now, without giving me problems then I will be happy for now. If I have a 939 and use only 3 slots-- will this be a major problem?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:57 PM

I found this page on Crucial. According to them you must use pairs. This page also has answers to most memory questions about this machine.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:09 AM

:thumbsup: Thankyou Oldfart! This is a very informative link. All of my questions are answered. It looks like pairs it shall be.

#6 Alex.ZeeM

Alex.ZeeM

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:30 AM

It is good if u will use pair of ram but it could be possible that your PC will not do any prob if u will use one stick.
Because it depends on mother board. Lots of mother boards do prob if a person use one slot of that board thatsmean one slot is in use and 2nd one is emplty.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:03 AM

You shouldn't make any decisions based on crucial's site, the T180 comes in too many flavors

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4.do?sp...;crc=2292692410

do a little more research before buying
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users