Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using D:/ Okay On Acer Aspire 5630?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fractal

Fractal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 5630 notebook. Its hard drive has 150GB, and it is partitioned into 3 parts:

1. PQSERVICE (10GB) - where a backup of the OS is stored.
2. C:/ (70GB) - where my OS and everything else is stored.
3. D:/ (70GB) - where backup images are stored by Acer eRecovery.

Here is a picture of what I get from Computer Management Posted Image

Since my D:/ is only being used right now to store backup images, and because that partition is so large, I'd like to put other things on there as well. I was thinking about using it for storing mp3 files, for example. But because :D/ is where my backup images are being stored, I don't know if moving things to :D/ will mess up Acer eRecovery's accessing the backup images to restore C:/.

Can I use D:/ for storing files even though it is where my backup images are being stored, without messing up Acer eRecovery's ability to access the images? If I were to install a second operating system on D:/, could I resize the drive, giving 20GB to Acer eRecovery, and use the rest of the free space to make partitions for an installation of another OS like Linux Ubuntu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:19 AM

As long as you don't move the image files I don't see a problem with using that directory. The only draw back is there will be less space for the drive images. There may be a setting somewhere in Acer tools? (not sure what its called ) that allows you to select how much disk space is used for the images.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

Some manufacturer's leave free space on the D: drive so that file operations can be conducted there during a restore operation. Since the Acer has such a large partition and it's named "Data" I would suspect that you can store your own data on it.

Making the recovery disks from the eRecovery program will let you do whatever you want with the D: partition. That way you'll be able to recover from the CD/DVD media rather than the images stored on the D: drive.

Leave the unnamed 9.76 gB partition on the drive alone.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users