Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Start System Restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cherelen

Cherelen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:14 PM

My computer was really sluggish, so I decided I was going to try to figure it out. I came here and started looking at the Uninstall List. This then led me to a site (liutilities.com) to downlad Uniblue Registry Booster. This program was supposed to delete any files that did not get uninstalled when certain programs were uninstalled on my computer. I also downloaded the Autoruns by Sysinternals on my computer and think I may have accidentally deleted something crucial.

After I installed Uniblue, it said I had over 1500 registry files, but could only delete 15. So I deleted the 15. Then I restarted my computer. After that, my task bar (with the Start menu) is not on the screen. When I minimize windows, they disappear and the only way to get to them is by using the ALT+TAB function. Also, when I am on the Internet, I cannot open any windows that are Java Script.

I tried to do a system restore to undo the functions I did, but it gives me the message "System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart you computer and then run system restore again." So, I restarted my computer and tried again and it gave me the same message. I also tried to run system restore in Safe Mode and in Safe Mode with Command Prompt and it still gives me the same message.

I would run a system recovery or "F" disk my computer, but right now I have over 3GB of files that I do not want to lose.

My only concern, is that I will have to put all of my files on an external drive, and then totally recover my system.

Any help, is much greatly appreciated because I am completely lost at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:23 PM

See if you can go this route.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

#3 cjfla

cjfla

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

This program was supposed to delete any files that did not get uninstalled when certain programs were uninstalled on my computer.
After I installed Uniblue, it said I had over 1500 registry files, but could only delete 15. So I deleted the 15.

Did this program prompt you to backup the registry before it blindly deleted these files from your computer? If so, you can revert back to the backup registry and you are safe...

#4 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

Uniblue Registry booster has a back-up utility just in case something like this happens. Did you skip that process?
Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#5 Cherelen

Cherelen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

This program was supposed to delete any files that did not get uninstalled when certain programs were uninstalled on my computer.
After I installed Uniblue, it said I had over 1500 registry files, but could only delete 15. So I deleted the 15.

Did this program prompt you to backup the registry before it blindly deleted these files from your computer? If so, you can revert back to the backup registry and you are safe...

I did do a backup registry before any files were deleted. I have tried reverting back using the backup registry, but it does nothing.

#6 Cherelen

Cherelen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:18 PM

See if you can go this route.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

I tried this and it did not work. Any other suggestions??

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

Make sure System Restore is Active:
> Click on Start, Programs, Accesories, System Tools, System Restore.
> Click on System Restore Settings, on the left hand side of the window.
> Make sure the option for (Turn off System Restore) is not checked.
> Do this for any additional hard drives you have.
> Click APPLY and OK, and then restart the system.

Make sure that it's Service is running
Open the Command Prompt
> Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD.
> Press ENTER, and then type Net Start at the command prompt to make sure that the System Restore service is running.
Now it is definately running so try again.

Another try is shut down Uniblue first .It's running may be interfereing with other Registry tools.
Close the RegistryBooster icon from the system tray (next to the System clock) by: Right-clicking on it
Choose “Exit Registry Booster”

Edited by boopme, 25 September 2007 - 06:21 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users