Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Load Times

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

I downloaded Maple Story the other day and when I tried to install it, I thought it froze my PC so I rebooted it. When I rebooted, the PC took forever to load the startup programs (anti-virus, anti-spyware, AsusProbe, ZoneAlarm, and wireless connection). Usually it takes about a minute, this time it took 2-3 minutes. I rebooted again and it loaded normally with one exception. Now, whenever I open a program, it takes 15-20 seconds to load the program. If I close it out and restart it, it takes just 2-5 seconds. It goes for most programs (haven't tried it on all). Like I said, once the program has loaded, it loads like normal for the rest of the time my PC is on. I did a defrag and run a virus scan, nothing worked and nothing showed up in the scan. Maybe something was attached to MS that my anti-virus can't find? Any suggestions? I can provide a HJT log if necessary. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

Maple story may just be using up too much of your resources.

I would uninstall Maple Story and see if your PC goes back to normal.
Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#3 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:23 PM

Taking up too many resources? How?

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (1.9 Ghz)
1 GB DDR Ram
7600GT
250 GB Hard drive.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:27 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time when you boot or when trying to open a program (that is, the times when your computer is acting slow).

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:04 AM

Well I'm going to hold off on removing MS because my computer is running much faster today that it was on Monday (back to almost normal speed). Even viewer (I hope this is what you want):

Fault bucket 473728989.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Hanging application LSUpdateManager.exe, version 7.0.2.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Fault bucket 506723909.

Fault bucket 506723909.

Hanging application YahooMessenger.exe, version 8.1.0.421, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Hanging application YahooMessenger.exe, version 8.1.0.421, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Fault bucket 02063049.

Hanging application wpwin9.exe, version 9.0.0.528, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Fault bucket 02063049

Fault bucket 02063049.

Hanging application wpwin9.exe, version 9.0.0.528, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer ADMIN-PC that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{D3BC1FDE-E34F-47F2-. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer ADMIN-PC that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{D3BC1FDE-E34F-47F2-. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

I'm not really going to post the Master Browser thing anymore because it occurs many more times, as does the time provider NtpClient. What's with this fault bucket thing? I thought I disabled everything related to Word Perfect 9 & Yahoo messenger because I can't find anything related to it in msconfig.

If you need anything else, let me know.

#6 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:05 PM

Any suggestions? The loading times seem to vary. Yesterday was slow, but today is normal speed.

#7 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

Maybe another GB of RAM?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

The errors you listed in your previous post, are they the ones that occur at the time you are experiencing problems?

Try running the System File Checker (SFC), which will check for and replace any corrupted system files.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, those errors occur on start up, which is when the computer is slow while loading Firefox, IE, Yahoo, and Windows Live. After I load the programs for the first time, they load like normal as the day goes on. But I did use the SFC fixer like the guide said to do. It did ask for the XP CD and I did go to the windows update but there were no updates.

#10 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

Now the load times are back to normal (probably due to the patch), but if I play the game for a while, I get an error message saying my video card drivers have encounted an error and need to close. This slows down the PC considerably and only rebooting helps. I'm running a 7600GT on the 91.47 drivers with XP Pro. I'd get the latest drivers, but the last time I upgraded, I played the Sims 2, rebooted, and got an "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. Nothing worked and I had to format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users