Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions On Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bft305

bft305

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

Hey everyone, I just had my computer fail and it looks like it might not make it. Now I am thinking it might be time to buy an new laptop. Problem is I have heard nothing but bad things about vista. So those of you who actually have vista, what are your opinion? Whould I be better off trying to have some one custom build my computer and use xp instead? I don't have a copy of xp myself and don't feel like buying a computer and then reformatting and loading xp on to it. What do you think? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:54 PM

Vista is like any other new technology - it's sensitive to what you feed it. If you're expecting your old programs and your old hardware to work with it - you'd better check for Vista versions of the drivers before you upgrade.

BTW - if you buy a Vista computer and try and put XP back on it, you're in for a couple of surprises:
1) It'll likely void your warranty.
2) It's likely that the system manufacturer may not have drivers for XP on their website.

The most common thing (that I've seen) that won't work is the majority of older printers - the manufacturer's just don't want to make new drivers, they'd rather sell you a new printer.

If you use Vista compatible apps and drivers with your Vista system you generally have less issues than with XP - primarily due to the increased security and the improved troubleshooting tools.

PS - don't forget your Router, Modem, and ISP - are they Vista compatible? If not, there's a couple of tricks that help out for that (Disabling the IP Helper service, disabling IPv6, and disabling the DHCP Broadcast Flag).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

If you're not of the mind to adventure to a new OS, then have your new computer custom built with XP.

If you decide to go with Vista, you'll need to gather as much information as you can about this new OS. I love my Vista Business laptop and I'm having a custom built desktop with Vista Ultimate on it.

I think this link might have been one of the first ones I found that helped me get to where I wanted to go :huh:
http://www.petri.co.il/vista_tips.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 bft305

bft305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

thanks for the info, I will have to research more into this. I am hoping most of my stuff will still work if I get a new computer.

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:15 PM

thanks for the info, I will have to research more into this. I am hoping most of my stuff will still work if I get a new computer.

A better approach than a custom XP install may be to pay
someone to tweak Vista for you. Out of the box it tends to run a lot of
background tasks many people never need. It's a chore just to get
it to leave the HD alone when the system is idle.
It does look good though. I've found it to be very stable too.
You might as well bite the bullet. I remember I didn't want to
go to XP because it was a resource hog. Now I don't know how I
put up with Win98 crashing all the time!!! :huh:

Edited by MilesAhead, 28 September 2007 - 09:16 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

Most Vista issues are related to the hardware requirements for it. For a "new" system you definitely need at least 1 gig of ram. Turn off Aero -- it is a useless resource hog.

Do not install whatever antivirus comes with the system -- get something less resource intensive like AVG.

Most issues with Vista will probably get resolved by an upcoming service pack update.

One way or another it is probably in your future so you should get acquainted with it.

I would recommend either the Business or the Ultimate version -- which come with a full drive backup utility.

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 29 September 2007 - 12:22 PM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#7 hebee

hebee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, I agree the above said, if you're not of the mind custom with new things, you should not choose a new OS, for it's really different from Xp. They are different from installation, main interface to operate. I've now used to vista, though the first time I used, I really hated it, for I even can't find my files and seems no way to save my documents. In addition, it has many compatability problems, and there are lot of programs can't be run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users