Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE-Spyad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joni

Joni

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:30 PM

I do not use a password to sign on to my computer nor does anyone else using this computer; therefore, we all have the same desktop. It is my understanding that if we used passwords the desktops would be different.

Your document re using IE-Spyad says that when running the install for -Spyad the batch file will add all the domains and sites in the main file into this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\ZoneMap\Domains.

I am just reading about the registry in another one of your documents, Demystifying the Windows Registry. As I understand it HKEY_CURRENT-USER.. Refers to the particular user who is currently logged on.

Does this mean that if different users logged on using a password that they would be able to set Internet Zones, Trusted Zones and Restricted Zones to suit themselves? This does not sound very logical to me. Or is it that certain options such as these would be the same for all users; whereas other options would differ according to individual settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:27 AM

Hi Joni,

I do not use a password to sign on to my computer nor does anyone else using this computer; therefore, we all have the same desktop. It is my understanding that if we used passwords the desktops would be different.

Sorry but your conclusion in this statement is erroneous. I'm afraid you've been misinformed. Having a password for each log in has nothing to do with how each user's login (desktop) is individualized. Passwords only restrict access to each user's account by other users.

To avoid confusion, think of these terms as synonymous: user's log-in, profile, account.

Each users desktop might be the same on your PC but that has nothing to do with lack of a password. And probably if you look closely, there are some differences on yours as well.

Each time you creat a user on your PC you create a profile--you don't mention which Operating System you use but I'll use XP as an example. In Window Explorer, these profiles are contained in the C:\Documents and Settings directory. All user preferences, including the appearance of the Desktop, which programs start when Windows starts, etc., are contained in each user's account folder in Documents and Settings. So, for example, the Desktop wallpaper can be different for--
C:\Documents and Settings\User1\
and
C:\Documents and Settings\User2\

So can you see how this relates to HKEY_CURRENT_USER? Hope this answers your question somewhat.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 Joni

Joni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:59 AM

Do I understand you correctly?

If we each used passwords, we could
1. Select different wallpaper.
2. All my desktop shortcuts to my documents would still appear on another user's screen, but the other user would not have access to my documents.
3. Internet Settings for each user would remain as I set them.
4. I have Windows 98 second edition. There is no C:\Windows and Settings
5. I am still not clear re the registry.

Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

As for the IE-Spyad, nice on picking up on the HKCU keys, and the answer is yes, this is invidividual per user.

These settings are customizable on a per user basis as IE-Spyad adds the list to a particular user's (current one logged in) Restricted Sites list in IE.

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

My apologies, Joni, after doing some research it appears that I am misinformed about the use of passwords and how they relate to individual profiles/desktops for Win98SE. I'm only familiar with XP and all I know is that passwords have nothing to do with customizing each users account using that OS.

So, as far as I know, you understand correctly regarding items 1-3 in your list. Someone with experience with 98 should confirm this. When creating a new user account/profile, item 2 may not be quite right. In XP, when a new account is created, the only desktop icon will be the Recycle Bin, but yes, each user will have their own My Documents folder and customized Start menu and various other settings and they will remain as set by each logged on user. You seem to be talking of modifying profiles that already exist, or perhaps you have more than one user sharing a single profile. So it may be better to password protect your profile, modify it as you see fit, then create new profiles for the other users.

Well, I'll shut up now since I'm not sure that my information is correct. This subject is somewhat :thumbsup: for this thread. You may want to start another topic with some more specific questions about changing and creating user profiles in 98SE either here or in the Windows forum.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users