Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Reboots Continuously

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:55 PM

When switching On my PC it boots normally then shows the commands:
- Safe Mode
- Safe Mode with Networking
- Safe mode with Command Prompt
- Last Known Good Configuration
- Start Windows Normally
With the "cursor" on Start Windows Normally.

When clicking on it I get the Starting Windows Icon for approximately 5 seconds, then the BDSO
(Blue Screen) appears for a very short time (i.e. less than half of a second) and immediately the PC reboots.
This process is running in the above sequence continuously.

The same process occurs when choosing "Last Known Good Configuration''

I tried each of the first three commands above. The PC boots for each one of them (without showing the
Starting Windows Icon) then immediately reboots to begin the process again.

Since the BDSO disappears very fast I can't see/read the error code/STOP message.

Asking for your assistance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

You could try a windows repair installation. What kind of computer is it?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:27 AM

Hi Sneakycyber,

Thanks a lot for your time.

The computer is Windows XP Pro.
Is the "windows repair installation" destroying the existing data on the HD?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:13 AM

No it leaves the current file system intact it just repairs the current windows installation by replacing corrupted files. There may be other options before you do this.. have you changed any of the computer hardware? added a video card, added a cdrom drive etc?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:39 AM

Thanks Sneakycyber for your prompt answer.

I will perform the Windows Repair this evening.
No hardware modification has been done.
I will also clean the computer , I remarked that there was
some dust on the video card (don't know if in relation to the issue).

Thanks again

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:42 AM

I would clean out the computer thoroughly and see if that solves the problem before doing a repair install.

Some more info for you:

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

I cleaned the PC as per the instructions, but the issue remain.
I changed the BIOS sequence, to begin with CDRom, and tried to run the Windows OS CD.
"Boot from CD:" appeared on the screen lower side, and the CDRom green light
was blinking. But after a while, (less than one minute)
I got the boot screen with "Start Windows Normally" as mentioned in my previous thread.
And again this precess ran continuously.

I repeated the sequence above using another Windows OS CD (from a colleague) and using
also a PE Bart Rescue CD. The issue remain: can't boot from a CD.
Note: the three CD's above have been successfully used in the past.
I have checked the HD one month ago (before this issue) using a program I downloaded for 30 days trial
and got satisfactory results (healthy HD).
- Is this issue resulting from a bad/damaged component : Motherboard? CDRom? Power Supply?etc...
How to determine which one need repair or replacement.
My PC is approximately 4 years old.
- Is it still possible open the OS and/or to rescue the data stored on the installed HD.

Thanks

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

Are you able to try a different CD/rom drive? There is a slight chance that there is a problem with the IDE controller on the motherboard, but since it gets to the safe mode options this is part of windows which means its reading the HDD. Since the CD-rom works on other computers try a different cd-rom drive. If that doesn't work you could install the HDD into another computer as a slave drive and rescue the important files off of the drive before formating and re-installing an operating system.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:00 AM

Have you tried to use Safe Mode to access Windows? If so, you'll be able to see the errors for the Blue Screen in the Event Viewer (Start...Run...type in 'eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

Thanks Usasma

I tried all the commands which appears on the the screen during the Boot process
when it stops running:
- Safe Mode
- Safe Mode with Networking
- Safe mode with Command Prompt
- Last Known Good Configuration
But after each one of them the loop starts again.

When using the safe mode the Safe Mod screen boot (black full screen) appears, but after
some 15 seconds (when in a normal process the Windows Icon appears) the PC reboot
from the beginning.

With no one of the boot 'proposed commands', even with the Start Windows Normally one, the PC
cannot go beyond the starting Windows icon (i.e. Widows is not starting), and then the
PC is rebooting from the beginning.

As I mentioned in my previous thread, the PC can't boot using a bootable CD,so I can't determine
if/or which one of the PC components is out of order.

Edited by sam-my, 27 September 2007 - 02:08 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Sorry 'bout missing the previous post about the boot difficulties - but with my eye problems I just can't afford to re-read each post - so I concentrate on the one's that I haven't seen and offer my advice from there.

Since you can't boot from a CD and you've got problems with your hard drive - I'd suspect issues with the controllers on the motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

I installed a new CDRom so I could boot using the Windows Installation CD and the PEBart Rescue disc.
Using the Windows Installation CD I could not see the Windows Repair Install. I performed all the instructions recommended
in the 'How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install' (in the above thread) with no success.
I went one step further towards Windows Clean Install and was surprised to see that my C drive was empty and not formatted,
while the other drives, D and E showed the exact empty space.
I decided to perform a Windows clean install. After formating the C drive (Quick) and loading the files through the progress
boxes, the PC rebooted (to begin the GUI mode phase) but, instead of getting the windows icon to continue the OS loading,
the PC loaded the Windows Installation CD from the beginning (CD-based setup). As recommended (in Windows Clean install tutorial), I removed the CD and rebooted, but I got (after 'Boot from CD:') the message "Invalid partition table".
I booted the PC using PEBart Rescue disc, and performed a virus scan of drives D and E (to check that the AV can
read the data ).

May I conclude:
- Drive C is corrupted and its not possible to install the OS on it?
- Drives D and E are not corrupted? (since scanned successfully using NOD and SpyBot)
- In order to get access to the data stored in drives C and D, do I have to install a new HD and to re-install the OS on it
(using the existing one as slave HD)

Any other advise will be appreciated
Thanks

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

If you have already done a clean install you may have erased all information in the C: directory. It looks like your HDD may be going south on you. One last option would be to use Active@ Kill Disk you will need to download the DOS Version only and select the Bootable ISO image. After burning the cd put it in the cd rom drive of the bad computer and boot it. This will completely format the Disk Drive and erase EVERYTHING including the partitions. Then try to install windows again. If you need to try and retrieve information off of the drive you can install it in another computer with an operating system and try to access the drive that way.

Burning an ISO with NERO

Burning an ISO with Adaptec Easy CD creator

ISO burner if you dont have one

Edit: added instructions

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 October 2007 - 06:23 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#14 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

I recently had a computer with similar problems. I had checked everything. I put in a new hard drive to see if it was something with any drivers or windows problem. It was still rebooting. I ended up getting a new motherboard and still the same reboot. Then I ordered a new cpu and fan and it fixed the problem. I was able to use the old board with the new cpu and fan.
The problem is, it could be so many different things. Do you have access to any used parts you could test with?

#15 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

If the partition tables are problematic then one has to ask why. Would suggest running some diagnostics on the drive using the manufacturer's diagnostics and if this is OK would then (having first backed up any readable data from the drive using Knoppix or similar) zero the drive as already suggested. You can make a DBAN (Boot and Nuke) floppy very easily after installing Eraser or use TBU's CopyWipe to do this.

Suggest that you then reset the CMOS to defaults and then clean reinstall from the installation CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users