Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Damaged From Heat?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darkside701

darkside701

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

I have been having problems lately with my graphics card (geforce 6800 gt). From day one my card has run hotter then I would have liked but it was adequate, recently however I moved and my computer doesnt get the best ventilation because we have less space then we have things to put in it so the computer is a little cramped. At first it wasn't terrible but it has gotten to the point where the card is running at 93 degrees as soon as I turn it on and once I start playing CSS or larger games it hits as high as 135 degrees. First I replaced all the stock fans but that dropped the temperature 5 degrees at most. One of my friends had mentioned a VGA cooler but I know little about them and I was curious if my card has already been damaged from the heat.

So the main things I am intersted in...

Are VGA coolers difficult to put on the card?

If my card is damaged and I buy a VGA cooler for it will the cooler work for a newer card?

Is there anything else I can try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

There are several things to look at: What size power supply do you have? (if your power supply is underpowered, that can cause issues also) Have you completely cleaned out all the cooling fans and the heatsink underneath? If there are no artifacts or unusual display incidents, the card is probably ok.

Some gpu coolers only fit one model, others will fit several here is a link to the Zalman coolers
There are some pics and a good general idea of installation on this page, also.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

Thermaltake W0019 Purepower Butterfly 480W is my power supply

By completely cleaned out what do you mean? I take a can of air to it monthly is there more cleaning I should be doing?

EDIT- I thought about it and im not certain what artifacting is considered exactly... but occaisionally when I play css my screen will start to look like the stars in outter space when you start going at light speed(lol). instead of stars though its these triangle shapes.

Edited by darkside701, 24 September 2007 - 04:13 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

Sometimes it helps to remove the fans and thoroughly clean the heatsink fins
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

When you open the case, with the machine turned off and unplugged, use a small brush as described in this tutorial to clean the heatsinks. If dust and crud builds up, the gpu and cpu will overheat. If you want the tutorial is a great way to completely clean your computer.

Edited by oldf@rt, 24 September 2007 - 04:16 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

According to my recent research on the Nvidia forums. Nvidia Graphics cards are ok past 75 deg C which is 167 deg F and you shouldn't be too concerned until it gets much past 80 deg C. 135 is chilly compared to what the 8800 GTS at full tilt gets too.

Nvidia Forums- Graphic card Temperatures
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

Yea the thing with that is I think its at 93 celsius idle and 135 celsius when I'm playing. I'm not looking at it right now but when I checked the nvidia temperature monitor I told it to notify me when it reaches the "slowdown threshhold" (I believe thats what it's called at least) and it notify's me at around 130 degrees. I don't remember ever seeing it say celsius but when I was looking at it last I got the impression it was reading the temperature in celsius.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

According to the forums 120 deg C is the thermal limit of the cards if you have reached this temperature there's a VERY good chance it caused irreparable damage.

Edit: you can use RivaTuner to check the temperatures under load

Edit 2: If you can get the temperatures under control you can Check the card performance with 3DMark

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 September 2007 - 05:55 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

awesome ill give it a go, thanks