Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Path

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Most

Most

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:41 PM

I get the following error when I try to access someones computer from my server (windows 2000)

\\Username is not accessible
the network path was not found

I posted about being new to networking so sorry if this is a stupid fix. How can I fix that and where do I make the change?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradk

bradk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:08 PM

As long as youíre sure the cabling is working correctly itís probably a permission problem, probably to do with user and group rights. Without seeing how the network is setup itís hard to say exactly why youíre getting that error. The basics of networking are:
The server needs the right to access a computer and the work station computer needs the right to access the server. Read the reply I added to your previous post and see if anything there helps. W2k can be a bit stubborn; I get that error also after Iíve pulled a computer off the network and then try to add it back on. In fact I had it the other day on a network I was working on; it turned out to be a bad switch wasnít allowing the computer to connect to the network.
After youíve made sure itís not a hardware problem and youíre sure all the permissions are correct, try accessing the computer through explorer. Sometimes the username and password box will pop up that way. Remember, you really arenít accessing the computer you are accessing the computers drives.

#3 Bill Castner

Bill Castner

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:15 AM

What happens if you type at the CMD prompt:
NET VIEW?

It may be that \\Username is not a valid Netbios name on the network.
If you are not using an LMHOSTS file, or registering names in DNS, you may find that Netbios over TCP/IP is not configured at the \\Username workstation, or at the server. There has to be some mechanism to resolve Host names.
Users Helping Users

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users