Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A Wireless Card....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 r_macduff

r_macduff

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi! I hope you kind geeks will help a fumbling apprentice geek. :thumbsup: I have a Dell 5100 Inspiron laptop, got it for a grad present in 2003. It's (fingers crossed) still working fine, mostly, and I was told that I could get on Wifi if I got a wireless card. (A search for an existing wireless card proved fruitless, though I may not have looked well enough or in the right places. I also had to reinstall Windows XP in 2004 and it's missing a few pieces, so I may have one but my laptop may not know it's there. Long story.)

The problem is, I surfed over to Newegg, Best Buy, etc. and I have no clue what I should get. I'm not setting up a network, I just want to be able to pick up wireless Internet. My campus has Wifi, and nearly everywhere around here has Wifi, but I've never had any luck getting anything. My computer sits there clueless. When I lived in the dorms I was able to connect to the campus network, but now that I'm off campus I'm without a place to plug in a cable.

Any ideas? Thank you so much for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:11 AM

Here is where your miniPCI wifi card should be located. I have also included a link to the drivers for your computer.
If you download and run Everest v1.51 it will give you an inventory of all the hardware on your computer.

Drivers for the Dell 5100
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:35 AM

Dell machines provide a service tag, printed somewhere (probably underneath the laptop, or look in the start menu for a dell entry for a service tag). With this, you can enter it in this webpage:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/DellPar...&redirect=2
Alternatively you can select the analyze system option, that is, if you can connect your laptop via ethernet cable.

This will give you the specs for the laptop equipment itself, and should help you narrow down compatible options at a parts dealer.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 r_macduff

r_macduff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the help. I ran Everest and it told me I have a modem (no surprise there) and a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Ethernet Controller. There was more, and I have the full report still on my computer. I have no idea if that is useful at all, and since I'm clueless in this area I still don't know if my laptop is capable of getting wireless Internet. I suspect not, but you could tell me.

Edited by r_macduff, 29 September 2007 - 06:37 PM.

#5 r_macduff

r_macduff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

I just got on Dell and they have this option: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...;chassisid=8414

It seems like a way better deal than everywhere else I've looked. The lowest one I could find in town (USB, anyway) was $50 at Radio Shack. What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users