Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help To Fix List Of Errors In Win2000pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:12 AM

For some months I've been unable to fix a bunch of Errors and Warnings appearing in the recently discovered System Log, and although I've did some reading on them using the onboard Help and at http://www.eventid.net/ as well as http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_basic.aspx I'm too stupid to fix them on my own without help, and may well have inadvertently made matters worse in my numerous and futile attempts at a fix.

I use Windows 2000 Professional for home-use only on an old Compaq Deskpro, Intel Pentium III with a British Telecom "HomeHub" router.

My main problem is keeping an Internet connection for more than 12 or so hours
, and I reckon these errors are trying to give me a hint at what's up. But it's a technical minefield waiting to blow my virtual legs off. :huh:

The most common Event Viewer entries are:

2504 & 2505 Server
1003 &1007 Dhcp
20169 RemoteAccess
8033 Browser
11050 dnscache
7024 Service Control Manager
61 WinMgmt
20082 RemoteAccess (7 or 8 entries, one for each value of lana)
20192 RemoteAccess

the last two always appear on bootup, with the others cropping up afterwards.

I'm pretty sure my set-up or configuration is somehow screwed but don't know how to fix it without causing more problems. I'm willing to start from scratch, but I need workarounds as I don't have a repair or installation disk (the Compaq was given to me by a registered charity with no disks and no technical backup).

I realise the list is quite lengthy and a fix may take some time but if you're able to help, or need answers/further info from me, please Post at your leisure.
Thanks. :thumbsup:
Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:23 PM

A few questions. Is this a combination router/modem? Is it wired or wireless? Is this the only computer or are you on a home network? Do you use MS Remote Access? Does this HomeHub also include a VOIP telephone?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:32 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying, and a having a go at this lot. Please have patience with me if I'm unsure or don't know 'things'.

Is this a combination router/modem?
The BT (British Telecom) HomeHub is a broadband wireless router with VOIP. I don't have a separate or onboard modem, but don't know if a modem is in-built with the router. I have access (when connection allows) to technical info. via the Hub Manager program - but don't recall ever seeing a modem mentioned. Is there a tell-tale sign that would allow me to be more certain? They claim folk can reach 8 Mbits/sec - but in practice that's a fairy-tale.

Is it wired or wireless?
It's both, but the only connection to the computer is by USB 2.0, and its 'Hub Manager' program confirms that there's no other active connection. The Compaq isn't wireless-enabled. (see also VOIP below)

Is this the only computer or are you on a home network?
One stand-alone Compaq home computer (but error message 2505 Server says there's a computer with the same name somewhere!!! Which is why I think my basic set-up/configuration settings are knackered).
Sorry if this is irrelevant, but in addition to keyboard and monitor, there's:
a multifunction (not fax-enabled) printer;
a DVD Writer;
USB mouse;
2 flash drives; and
the BT HomeHub,
all connected on USB 2.0 (using 3-port PCI, and a 4-port USB 2.0 hub).
There are no Firewire connections, yet Network and Dial-Up Connections keeps saying there's no cable connected to a Firewire Connection 4. The router uses Connection 3, and there's never been any mention or appearance of Connections 1 or 2.

Do you use MS Remote Access?
Don't know for certain. If it's an application that needs to be clicked on to Start - then no.
If it starts up because of something else, how would I check?

Does this HomeHub also include a VOIP telephone?
Yes, broadband 'phone calls are made using the handset which bypasses the computer.
There is a program that allows me to send texts and calls via the computer, but I removed it from the Start-Up list as I don't use it frequently enough. It also claims to allow me to make 'phone calls via the computer, but I don't use it for that because I've never been able to get it to work, and when I did try it mucked up my sound settings. So, I just use the handset via the router wireless for 'phone calls without it going via the computer.

Hope this helps Mark, and many thanks.
Rob

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

You said this is a donated computer so I'm guessing it was part of a home or small business network. I'm assuming the Home Hub has a built-in modem. Remote Access is a Microsoft program, for example, if you want someone in the next town to log on to your computer to fix something. If you have never used it, I would disable it.
I have never used VOIP and with this whole HomeHub thing,all this stuff might be required. I'[m going to poke around their site for awhile. don't do anything yet
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

The more I look at your errors, I believe it has to do with your HomeHub. Their website is useless, and it doesn't look like their tech support is any better. I found this website from over at your side of the pond. They have a telecommunication forum where it is discussed quite frequently and looks like they have some knowledgeable people
Mark
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
Mark
Posted Image

#6 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

If the computer came from the same source as the keyboard then it was in my Local Government offices. The Wise Group charity takes them in, wipes the HDD and installs Win2K before putting them to the community.

Read the article and I've now changed from Manual to Disabled both the Remote Access Connection Manager, and the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager.

The Remote Access Connection Manager had already started and wouldn't allow me to Stop it. It says if there are any problems I should contact me!! I wont change anything else so I can see later if it stops me getting any Internet connection (as opposed to a sporadic one).
If I can't access the Web after the next reboot, I'll note any new Event Viewer entries and change it back to Manual but I'll leave the Auto one disabled and see what that does.

The British Telecom website is a nightmare, and not easy to find anything of use.

Thanks Mark. We're on a roll...

EDIT: I'll maybe give the guys at digitalspy a go once I see how or if the changes I've made do anything suitably drastic.

Mark, in System Properties > Network ID button > Network ID Wizard there's two options in the page "Connecting to the Network: How do you want to use this computer?" and underneath it has:

1. "The computer is part of a business network, and I use it to connect to other computers at work"

2. "The computer is for home use and is not part of a business network".

I reckon option 1 has been selected by Wise, and every time it bootsup I automatically get signed on using that configuration. That's why the computer is called "WISE".

Is there a way I can transfer all my 'stuff' to an option 2 setting to see if that helps?

I tried last week creating a new ID, but I couldn't access my usual desktop programs, files, etc. So I abandoned that idea.

What do you think Mark. Is there a way of creating a new ID using option 2, then transferring all my stuff from the WISE ID to my new one?

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 24 September 2007 - 05:11 PM.

Rob

#7 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:41 AM

Have fixed the two errors on bootup, but the fix created two new perpetually repeating errors which are also fixed.

Here's a copy of a note to myself how this was done:

1008 Perflib & 2001 rasctrs - first noted 25 Sep. 2007

PREAMBLE
These two Event Viewer Application Log error entries were being generated 104 times per minute after I disabled (in Service Management Console Run > services.msc) the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, the Remote Access Connection Manager, and Routing and Remote Access because I wanted to fix these errors appearing every bootup:

20082 RemoteAccess (7 or 8 entries, one for each value of lana)
20192 RemoteAccess

Disabling these three services successfully stopped both these Errors, but generated "1008 Perflib" and "2001 rasctrs" 104 times per minute.

Thanks goes to Mark aka 'garmanma' of http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry624639

"Remote Access is a Microsoft program, for example, if you want someone in the next town to log on to your computer to fix something. If you have never used it, I would disable it.
Mark"

SOLUTION
Made a Registry change as per this extract for 1008 Perflib
Originally found here:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...lib&phase=1

"This event may occur for various applications. When the performance monitor reads all counters for the first time, the extension's Open Procedure is called. A typical task for the Open procedure is to read what range of object indexes it supports from the registry. These index values are stored in the First Counter, First Help, Last Counter, and Last Help registry values under the application's performance key. If this Open procedure fails to read the data (i.e. those entries donít exist or have been deleted by an uninstall procedure) the 1008 event is recorded in the event log (see M247226 for more details). See M247226 on how to fully install the Performance Monitor Extentions

"In order to remove such orphaned entries typically one has to follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe)and go to the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\:\Performance
Delete the value " Open ."
Restart your computer for this change to take effect."

SUMMARY
Did all of the above, and I get no errors on bootup, and no Application Log errors. My system appears to be clear and fixed at last - and long may it last.

Now I need to monitor whether an Internet connection can be sustained, and if these errors are related and/or relevant:

2504 & 2505 Server
1003 &1007 Dhcp
20169 RemoteAccess
8033 Browser
11050 dnscache
7024 Service Control Manager
61 WinMgmt
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users