Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start... Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bft305

bft305

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:39 PM

sorry this is a little long!

Hey everyone, well I have an Compaq x1360 laptop with centrino and I am running windows xp home ed. It is about 4 1/2 years old. About 4 months ago I installed a gig of kingston ram, and it has 256 of compaq ram. Though I have not had any problems with the ram so I don't think it is the problem, but maybe. The latest thing I installed was norton 360 protection. This might have something to do with this because I seemed to have a few software problems after this, or something might have just died. Anyways, I was using my computer to burn some dvd's and I left for a while, leaving it running. Well I come back and take it out standby and it says " non-disk or disk error, replace disk and hit any key to continue" sort of like it if you try to boot up your computer with a cd in the drive. Plus the hard drive is whirling away really loud like it is thinking but for no reason. Well I hit a key and nothing it is frozen. So I try ctr, alt, delete to restart and nothing doing. Pull the power cord and battery and try starting again. It comes up to the screen with an option to enter safe mode or normal start. I tried normal start and it gets to windows boot screen and then thats it. Then I tried the option of restart at the last time it was working properly (restore). This time it works and I started running a scan and also a scan with all my anti-virus software. Well, it tells me windows discovered and fixed a major system error, could not find any more info. So I am like cool :thumbsup:. So shutdown to see what happens and if I am good. Well now it will not get passed the windows boot screen, I can't start it normally, in safe mode, or do a restore. So what is up with this thing? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

There is a built in hard drive test in the BIOS, use the F10 key to enter the bios, and under the topmost menu labeled utilities, if your laptop has it, is the hard drive test. You have a quick test and the complete test. Run this and see what it says.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 bft305

bft305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:15 PM

well I found the hard drive self test and tried the quick test, but it didn't say anything, just told me to hit any key to continue and then went back to the original menu. I am going to try the comprehensive test but it will take an hour and I will probably be asleep by then. I will post what happens later on.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:54 AM

Ouch. The quick test normally runs, unless you have a hdd problem.

#5 bft305

bft305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

Ok the quick test and the comprehensive test both ran and showed that they were completed and goes back to the options of running a quick / comprehensive test. I am guessing it should be telling me the results of that test? In other words I get the feeling I just found out that my hard drive is done (R.I.P. ). Old Fart, is this what happened, anyone else have any ideas. How much will it be for a new hard drive? Is it worth it for a 4.5 year old computer?

#6 bft305

bft305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

P.S. I have never had any hdd problems before now

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

You should receive results of the test, and then tap a key to return to the menu. If the bios is just returning to the run test line showing no pass or failure results, check in the main window and see if the hdd is detected.

Here is a laptop hdd on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148228

#8 bft305

bft305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

how do you check to see if the HDD is dectected in the bios mode? Now another problem I might have is if I get a new hard drive and install it, I never got the xp disc(s) with the computer. I only got discs to reinstall drivers/applications, but never the true xp discs. Are they the same thing? Will I have to go out an buy XP? If I had to do that I figure it would make more sense to buy a new laptop.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

Across the top menu, it is the one on the far left It may be called "MAIN" Look at the discs that you got again. The discs that came with that HP should be at least two in the package for that laptop, labeled Operating system CD, and the Drivers and applications DVD. The os cd is only for your model series of HP, but will function like the original XP cd on your computer. You should not have to buy an XP disc. If worst comes to worst, the original discs can be ordered from HP for about 20 dollars.

#10 bft305

bft305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

ok thanks for all the advice, I have three cds 1) Operating system cd 2) Driver Recovery CD 3) Application Recovery CD. I looked at the system information screen and it doesn't say anything about the hard drive, so I guess it is a hard drive problem. So what your saying is with these 3 cds I should be able to buy a hard drive and then load those cds and everything should work again?

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

Absolutely! Once you have the new hard drive, load the OS CD, then load the driver cd. Once you have done that, load an anti virus program, preferably free. See the replacements for common commercial applications thread. . Then get Service Pack # 2 and all windows updates. Once you have done that then you should run the Applications cd, just be sure to select only the applications that you need or use, you do not have to install all the crud that come with the machine.

#12 bft305

bft305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

ok thanks alot for all the info you have been a great help!

#13 bft305

bft305
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:03 PM

oh one last question, the link to the hard drive above, is that the a good one to get? Is it compatible with my computer? Sorry I don't know much about parts, etc.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

This is the original HDD: 60.0GB ATA-100 EIDE hard drive - 4,200 RPM, 2.5-inch form factor, 9.5mm height, but the link that I gave you earlier should work with no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users