Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security..dsl Vs. Dial-up?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BalRocket

BalRocket

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

Guys,

Is there any different type of requirements for Anti-Virus or Spyware, or any other Security measures,when I go to Verizon Wireless DSL?

Is there anything new I should be concerned about? I still have my "Zone Alarm", "Avast", "AVG", and Spybot.
Will that pretty much cover it? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

Verizon's DSL is DSL. Wireless is one of the modes you can use I suppose.
You're definitely safer with DSL than any dialup.

You should not be using two anti-virus programs. Pick Avast or pick AVG. Never both.
Spybot is ok. You may also download free Superantispyware for scans.

ZA doesn't care if you're wired or wireless. It'll see the network.
Just set up the router with WPA protection and make sure the router has a password.

#3 BalRocket

BalRocket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

That's what I was looking for! :thumbsup: What is "WPA Protection" and how do you set the router up with it? And how do you make sure the router has a password? Are they things that were done during set-up?

Several people have told me to use more than one anti-virus, and Iv'e also read it somewhere.....I'm not saying they were correct, but I will look for answers on it!

Edited by BalRocket, 24 September 2007 - 07:41 PM.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

Never use more than one active anti virus! Every anti virus company has a page somewhere like this, or refuses to install until the other has been removed or disabled. WPA is one of the encryption methods for wireless routers. Even if you are not using wireless, this should be set up and used, mainly to prevent others from using your bandwidth (that you are paying for!) If the router is wire less, make sure that MAC address filters are turned on, with no addresses entered. The owners manual for your router should have complete information on setting up WPA and MAC address filters. Some routers can even turn off the wireless if you are not using it.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 BalRocket

BalRocket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

Ahh...........The key word here being..."Active" No, I never have two actively working at the same time.

But I do have two Antivirus that I run on seperate occasions. I agree...Never have TWO ACTIVE AV's!

Thanks for the other advice also. I will go to the verizon page, and manuals, to seek out what I need to do! :flowers:

Again, Thanks for the feed back. It's appreciated :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users