Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Recommendations - Free kinds only

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:04 PM

Anyone have any recommendations on a antivirus software replacement for Norton? I would like a free version of something, so am leaning towards AVG.

What have peoples impressions been of that product?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:19 AM

Hi Grinler,
I'm using the free version of AVG and it seems like it's working well. I am rather curious as to why an on-line scan at Panda found a trojan that AVG didn't, but I didn't do an update before AVG scanned. I like AVG. I also liked Avast too. Decisions decisions I know. There is a lot to choose from. I know I would never go back to Norton.
:thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:46 AM

About once a month, I use a random on-line antivirus to scan my computer; at no time have any of these found a virus that AVG missed. As with any AV, it is only as good as its definitions are current, and there can be a lag between the discovery of a new virus and the creation of a preventitive definition, so NO AV is one hundred per cent efffective.
FYI, AVG updates it's definitions very frequently when needed, and there is no difference in updates between the free and the paid version, to the best of my knowledge.
I use and recommend AVG to my friends.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:11 PM

Lets have another vote for AVG. Even though it is not spedifically geared for Trojans.

ASquared http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
is geared to Trojans etc. The free one has to be used manually but it complements AVG.

PestPatrol was included with ZA for a while. AVG & PP do not like each. A warning box pops up saying that they sometimes cause false positives but hasn't created any problems.

All three are on this machine. AVG runs full time and the others manually once a week or so.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2004 - 04:32 PM

You saw my log post from the other day. 1654 entries. Norton did not even find 1
AVG rocks,I've had it on my wifes computer for well over a year now and not a single virus to date. I install it on all my clients computers and it is my only recommendation when someone asks "What anti-virus should I use?"
Should you use the paid version? probably,but I've gotten by with the free one for a long time.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:12 AM

Is anyone running AVG in concert with McAfee AV?

I'm wondering if there are any conflicts in running the two side by side.

Or should one not run them simultaneous?

I figured to try out AVG and if it works well, drop the McAfee at renewal time
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:23 AM

Hi Koan,
Running two AV's can be done, but it is generally not recommended. What you don't want is both running at the same time, which is easy to do with on demand full system scans. The monitor element of most AV's is where you usually run into trouble with having two running at the same time. You could use MSCONFIG to disable one background monitor from starting with Windows, but you would have to know which files to disable and there are are other elements like registry checkers and such that might be missed that could also conflict.

I was in the same boat a while back when considering switching from Norton. But decided against trialing anything else while Norton was still installed. When it comes to AV's I think quality is better than quantity. Then again I hear others claim they have no problems running two or three AV's. I just have my doubts. Why not just have one installed and get a second opinion with free online scans?

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#8 frease

frease

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:07 AM

I would recommend Avast! as it does a very fine job in protecting the pc and in updating of signatures.. I used to use Antivir Personal Edition and it was doing a very good job. But it has a serious problem with updates. It creates temp files that hoarded up to 300+mb of space in the program files folder.

#9 BasiXX

BasiXX

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:05 PM

I have tried alot of AV software and I found from alot of reviews that MKS_VIR 2004 is a very good AV software here are some links that might be of use:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37083&page=3

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...c=182983&st=375

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=147234

and this is where I downloaded the 30 day demo: http://www.stormbyte.com

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:01 PM

Thanks BasiXX... I will take a look

#11 808chick

808chick

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:47 PM

I used to use Norton, but it really wasn't detecting some viruses. I switched to AVG. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better that NAV! There are times when Panda Active Scan detects what AVG hasn't, but rarely.

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:27 PM

Last night I tried Bitdefender AV scan online. I was impressed with three things.

I could monitor the scan process (much like spy-bot s&d)...instead of watching an animated graphic and waiting for the "full details".

A very simple, straightforward page without a lot of enticements.

When finished, the result was an object scan totaling 225,000+ and confirmation that no infections were present amongst them.

A Symantec scan required the same amount of time to reveal 25,000 or so files.
A Pandasoftware scan sifted through 60,000 files.

It'll require some more research for me to fully understand the subtle differences, but it seems worth mentioning. Routine periodic online scans supporting the resident AVG Free is my plan of action. :thumbsup:

Oh, and 808chick...

I'm really impressed with your concise and inclusive signature lines. They create a rare glimpse of more precisely what "this is all about" than discussions alone can. Good Job!

Edited by phawgg, 15 July 2004 - 10:39 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users