Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long Startup, High Cpu Usage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 moonei

moonei

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hello, I have recently been having the issues of a unusually long Startup starting at the black "splash" screen to when my desktop becomes usable, the time is roughly 7 minutes to start up. along with that, my CPU usage has been very sensitive to more then one program running, a example is my internet browser and windows media player open, normally these two programs open at once would not do anything to the preformance of my PC, but when I have WMP open, the music that plays is choppy, and jerky. I have no idea if I have a virus, corrupt files, or faulty hardware. I have noticed this message in my eventvwr.msc under system "The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent." however, I have done chkdsk and gone into the BIOS at startup via F10 and done disc checks, which both the quick and comprehensive passed, so I don't belive my hardware is faulty. But I am worried, as this preformance in my PC is unusual and I don't know if it is a virus, adware ect. or a damaged file. I have tried system restore, but it says that it is unable to do a system restore after the restart, which takes along time as mentioned above.

here is my system info, and a hijack log I can post if needed.

System info.

I run a HP Pavilion dv8000
AMD Turion64
1.58GHz
1GB of RAM

Edited by moonei, 23 September 2007 - 06:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

First thing would be to download the diagnostic tool from the maker of the hard drive and run it and see what it tells you
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:06 PM

Generally speaking...if you have a warning about a drive in Event Viewer and all connections are tight/good...it's wise to heed the warning.

You say you ran checks from the BIOS. Can you detail what you mean, since I've never seen a BIOS that will check a hard drive in any manner.

Louis

#4 moonei

moonei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:11 PM

First thing would be to download the diagnostic tool from the maker of the hard drive and run it and see what it tells you
Mark

I have done disc Diagnostic from the menu when you press F10 during start up, both do pass and I cannot seem to find anything wrong.

this is the tutorial I refered to for the test

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...deUrl=true&

Edited by moonei, 23 September 2007 - 07:13 PM.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

Hello moonei,

Now that you have a HJT Log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

This topic will now be closed, since you have an open log posted.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users