Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Edition/ Office Installation Permission Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 realmgeorge

realmgeorge

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:53 PM

Had a power outage that caused me to do a system restore on my Windows XP Home Edtion computer. After that I would try to run windows, and would get an error that said "Not installed for this user" even though there was only 1 user. Tried to delete office but it was not listed under add/remove programs. Now when I try to install it, it gets all the way to the publishing product part of the installation and then says:

"Error 1317: Setup cannot create the folder C:\Windows\Installer\variouslettersandnumbers . Verify that the path exists in your system and you have sufficient permissions to update it." I had tried changing permissions in safe mode (due to windows xp home) and that hasn't worked. The HP people said they have no idea and to call microsoft. You guys are my last hope before spending buku bucks to speak w/ Microsoft. My hihjack it log is as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 3:42:28 PM, on 9/23/2007
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: AutoPlay.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: AutoTBar.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: AutoPlay.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: AutoTBar.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: AutoPlay.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: AutoTBar.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B} (SysData Class) - http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqcpc/downloads/sysinfo.cab
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 4010 bytes

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

can anyone help please?

#3 realmgeorge

realmgeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

..... anyone ....... :-(

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

After reviewing your log, it has been determined, that there are no infections present on your computer. Not every Computer problem is caused by malware.
Please create another Topic, in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum, with a thorough explanation of the problems you're experiencing,
such as:
  • How long have you had this problem?
  • What have you done to try and correct this problem?
  • Is this a persistent problem. or does it just occur occasionally
  • Have you installed any new hardware/software recently?
  • What were you doing when this problem first started?
  • The exact Error Messages, you may have received.
  • etc...
Please also include:
  • Operating System (XP Home, XP Pro, etc.)
  • Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.)
  • Antivirus used
  • Spyware/Malware programs used
By including as much information as possible, we will better be able to understand your problem, which will result in your computer being fixed, in the most timely manner.

Do NOT post a HijackThislog there.
Also, to avoid confusion, mention that you have already posted a HijackThis log, and it was found that you had no infections.
This will prevent others from suggesting, that you post a HJT log for examination.

Since there were no infections found, on your computer, I will now close this Topic.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users