Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Set Password What Now?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lostcoz

lostcoz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

I am tapped out on what to do. I have been google searching for a while but I cannot seem to find a similar problem on the web. I had Winpatrol , Avast FE, Adaware SE, SpyBot SD and VUNDOfix.exe running at different times to try and clean out the vturq.dll, ddcyy.dll, and vercslid.exe. Never could catch them with any of these. Tried Bit Defender but it errored and failed to delete entries. Tried deleting through regedit...no good of course kept reinstalling its values tried in safe mode too. Tried HiJack this but doesn't show registry keys or values or startup etc. Now "vturq" (what Im calling it for now) is really pissed locked me out. Tried password recovery like "John The Ripper", tried Offline NT password and registry editor, tried login recovery.com says password is too complex. Tried booting in safe mode to Administrator account because NT P&RE says password is blank but, hitting enter says Unable to Log You on Because of an Account Restriction typing blank does same....I can't do anymore scans unless I plug the HD into another PC and I can't transfer any files off to reformat because of the ?mysterious password?" Can anyone anywhere please please suggest anything. Or know anything :thumbsup:

Dell Dim3000 P4 2.8GHz 2G-Ram
Windows XP SP2 (build 2600?)
IE7&MozillaFF

Edited by lostcoz, 23 September 2007 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

It should be obvious...clean install of everything.

I would move the datafiles desired to another system, running them through an AV check as they are loaded onto the new/temporary system or hard drive.

Louis

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

I'm afraid based on what you have told us, your only true option is to do a complete re-install of your OS.
When you reformat your drive, take care to do a full format and not the quick option.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 lostcoz

lostcoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

Dam not what I wanted to hear....but alas a response is all that I needed to break down and do it.....appreaciate your time.

P.S. I hope that I can view the files....I remember trying to move files from my sisters pc once and she had a password....wouldn't allow me to view them.......crossing my fingers...
and thanx again..

#5 lostcoz

lostcoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:51 AM

Well have I got news.....good news. As I ran my Windows disk to re-format I went ahead and did a repair install...When the computer came to... the passwords were gone...of course not the vturq or vundo whatever it is. But at least I was back at my desktop. WinPatrol was holding the fort just for a while....LSShort HiJack this ran fine...and after reading through all these awesome forums (no sarcasm) I recognized several of the files to fix/delete. I don't know if I damaged the system32 files and dll's but ran sfx.exe and followed several microsoft KB article's to fix windows updater.

Am finishing up with HouseCall, Avast virus&clnr, Bit Defender, Adaware, SBot1.5, Stinger, VundoFix, WDefender. Gotta say that Bit Defender was only one that picked up final crap labeled "HackingTools_AdvancedArchivePasswordRecovery" but I think that was probably left over from John the Ripper or Offline NT Password Recovery utility. Problem with running Panda Scan....Avast goes crazy that Panda is Win32/trojan loader so I have skipped their service.

(1o.thought) the thing that tipped me off to try a repair install was the fact that I was able to transfer my files off and on to another PC being that their was a password. I don't know maybe I was just fortunate to give it one last try but what a huge use of my time....hours of scanning not to mention 300gigs of vids, mus, bkmrks, and pics....to put back in place.

Thanx again...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users