Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maxtor External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 playero2007

playero2007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:37 AM

I have a maxtor external one touch 160g drive. I connect by usb cable and the computer has windows xp pro. Now my brother was going to use the computer and did not realize that the external drive was connected, so when he started the computer he tells me that it went to like a drive check and analyzing the maxtor external drive after this finishes the computer started correctly. Now when I connect or try to use the external drive it only says drive f not formatted do you want to format now. I can no format since this means I will lose what's in the disk. HOW CAN I GET THIS BACK TO NORMAL SO I CAN USE THE EXT DRIVE LIKE BEFORE??
Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

you leave the external running all the time?

power everything down, check all connections, power the computer back up, then the external

if windows still tells you it needs formatting the drive is probaly dying
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 playero2007

playero2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:54 AM

to be honest I forgot to shut the drive down. Since I went to take a picture of a turtle that I found on my patio, I shut the computer but the drive attached was still on. It has a lot of information that I need to at least get out
thanks

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:35 AM

I would test with another computer then open the case and try the drive connected to a desktop/tower computer?

If that doesn't work then you might try some data recovery programs after running maxtor boot diagnostics on the drive

Never put all your eggs in one basket
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

Well...it could be the case with the problem...or it could be the drive itself. To eliminate one or the other, I would take the drive out of the case and attach it directly to an IDE connector.

...and run chkdsk /r on it, if possible.

If you get the same message from an IDE connection, then I would say that it's time to run the manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive...and be prepared for the worst.

You know...no matter how many times you say that you really need the data on the drive...it's never going to change the fact that you don't have a backup image somewhere.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users