Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Problems On Old Compaq

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

I have an old Compaq Presario with win98SE on it that I use just for controlling a torch cutter. It stated I needed more Ram to run the new program. I had a 32MB ram card. I installed a 128MB ram and it shows only 44MB of RAM. What would cause it to show less then what I installed?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

How old is old? Some older computers max out at 128. Could be the wrong type. What is the model of the Presario?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya.

I agree with Garmanma on this point. Some older computers/ motherboards will max out at 64Mb. Assuming your on board graphics card eats 20Mb, hence you only show 44Mb installed ram.

Regards,
Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

It is a Compaq Presario 4504. Inside shows 1997. 1 memory slot. SDDR RAM. Please tell me what else you need. Thanks

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

I'm afraid you're out of luck. According to http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...Presario%204504 your machine was shipped with 16mb of RAM and upgradeable to a max. of 48mb. I don't think you could even run DSL linux on it. Sorry
Mark
I understand you're only using this for one machine. In my area, the local Goodwill store will have old computers cheap. That computer is so old I wouldn't even bother saving the drives out of it

Edited by garmanma, 23 September 2007 - 04:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

Thanks Garmanma,

I appreciate the info and the link. Now that I know I will stop trying to work with it. That saves me some time and headaches. That's what this place is for. That's why I always come here.

Roger :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users