Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Free Firewall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 waterface

waterface

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:11 AM

Hi
I currently use Zone Alarm free firewall.
In 'add/remove programmes' it says that it is 8.9MB in size.
I've recently been prompted to update, which is 30.9MB. How come this is so big compared to what i have now.
I also thought ZA updated itself via the white arrow that appears over the icon in taskbar! or is that just updating the definitions, not the whole version.

I was thinking of using a different Firewall.
I've heard good reviews of Comodo & Kerido. I'm looking for something small in size, effective & easy to configure & use!

Any help appreciated

wf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

I prefer Comodo. Currently showing 16.45mb in add remove and about 30,000 in task manager.

Seems to fit my requirements. Try it, if you don't like it you can get rid.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

Stay with your current version of ZA free. Or update to version 6.1 or 6.5.
I would not recomment the current ZA free version 7 because it is large, because it includes switched off features of the paid versions such as the suite. There are also some problems with emails because of the hidden, unuseable by free version, spam filter.

ZA is one of the simplest firewalls to use. Stick with it unless you'd like to learn about the details of making firewall rules. Kerio, old Kerio v2 is great, but not easy to build correctly. The advantage of Comodo might be some limited HIPS they have (host intrusion prevention system) which only ZA paid versions have full force. But you can get free Antihook or SMS to do the job.

Most importantly, switch away from IE. Use Opera or Firefox.

Edited: free ZA does NOT have updates of any virus or spyware definitions because it is a firewall. It does NOT have AV nor antispyware BY DESIGN. The update you are referring to is a product (ZA) update from free version to ZA Pro or Suite I suppose. Just set it to manually update if you can, and tell it to not nag you for 60 days or the longest time you can see.

Edited by tos226, 23 September 2007 - 08:34 PM.

#4 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:07 AM

Thanks Tos226
I have heard good reviews about 'Ashampoo 1.00' firewall, have you heard anything about this!

The ZA reminder to update that i get says it is important to download new security update!, would updating to 6.1 or 6.5 be sufficient defence?

Thanks

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:13 AM

You could try PC Tools Personall Firewall. A knowledgable computer freind has this on his system and he says that it is one of the best free firewalls that he has tried.

#6 Simple Simon

Simple Simon

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hi waterface,

I've used ZA Free for some years now and I wouldn't change from it anytime soon. It's coincidental that I was visiting Steve Gibson's, "Shield's UP!" site a little while ago and once again my Zone Alarm not only got a clean bill of health but he made special mention of this firewall. You can go visit and check your version at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and you will read why ZA is considered to be right up there. BTW, I'm running v7.0.337.000 and although I have two later versions still in my downloads folder I'm staying with the one I have until the newer ones have the bugs removed.

While you're there you might want to follow his link to his website where you can find lots of free goodies to further enhance your computer's security.

Good luck.

Simon :thumbsup:
- Simon

All those who believe in telekinesis raise my right hand.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

The ZA reminder to update that i get says it is important to download new security update!

But that's impossible. ZA free is a firewall. There are NO security updates other than product version updates. No virus or spy signatures.

If you decide to stick with ZA, I wouldn't bother with the update button. Just go directly to their download site and pick anything other than version 7. People swear that 6.5 is great, I used 6.1, it's good also. The latest build of 6.5 is the last nonbloated version. And it's good. See this link and then use the download hyperlinks within.
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users