Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 katyrosess

katyrosess

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

Most of the time when I change from one web site to another, my internet interrupts with a message saying error has occured and I should send a report in. Then I have to go back and start IE again. I changed from AOL to Rogers a couple of weeks ago. Never had this problem before. Anybody with suggestions. Much appreciate!
katyrosess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

First, disable "error reporting Microsoft support
How did you uninstall AOL? AOL is notorious for leaving crud all over your computer, even after using their uninstaller. This link http://anti-aol.livejournal.com will help get rid of everything. Follow the directions carefully.
WARNING! ! ! This involves some registry edits Be sure to back up the registry first backup registry how-to
Mark
Forgot to add: Welcome to BC

Edited by garmanma, 23 September 2007 - 08:35 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 katyrosess

katyrosess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

Well hello again. I did disable the error reporting and when I went to leave bleeping.com I got an error message and had to restart IE. go figure. any other suggestions greatly appreciated. by the way this second error message was a shorter version of the original that always popped up, nevertheless, still an error message. Hope you can help. many thanks!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

You can also try updating, or disabling, Internet Explorer plug-ins:
Open IE.
At the top, click Tools, and select Manage Add-ons...
Just follow the direction in the Manage Add-ons... box.

Another thing to try, is a repair/reinstall of IE:
How to Repair Internet Explorer
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hi katyrosess and tg1911.

FYI:

I followed the link for the IE6 download page but it is no longer valid. I Googled for and found the proper Microsoft site. The current version of IE6 is SP1.

MS IE6 SP1 download

tg1911: The Registry mod for "uninstalling IE6 is a real gem! Perhaps you should offer a simple 4-line .REG file that will do this automatically for XP. Most users don't want to use REGEDIT and with good reason, too. A .REG file will remove all the risk associated with REGEDIT.

IE6remov.reg
-------------------- file contents: Cut & paste into Notepad and save as filename IE6remov.reg
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4340}]
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000000
--------------------

Note: Due to the narrow window format here the long line appears split into 2 lines, there should be a single line that starts with [HKEY_LOCAL_MACH... and ends with ...4340}]
There is a single space between "Installed" and "Components".

Edited by WinCrazy, 24 September 2007 - 11:57 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

In IE7 the command "iexplore -extoff" (without the quotes) will launch IE without the Add-Ons. Dunno if it works with IE6 or not.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 katyrosess

katyrosess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

Me again,

I am still having the problem where everytime I leave a website IE come up and says there is a problem with the option to send or not send a report. I then have to start up IE again. The suggestion that I get into registry edits is over my head and that scares me as I am not a techy and don't want to screw up. Anybody have any other suggestions as to how to fix this problem - like perhaps a quick and easy and safe way to reinstall IE? - maybe wishful thinking.
Thanks very much!!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

The prudent thing to do...would be to check Event Viewer for errors that may relate to your apparent system problems. And post pertinent details (source, event ID). You can see the pertinent details for any error noted in Event Viewer by double-clicking on that line item.

As for problems with IE...the best I can suggest is to update to IE 7, if you don't already have it installed.

The message asking you if you want to send an error report to Microsoft...is not important. It's a courtesy thing that some users do, since it may help MS amass data upon which to research solutions to problems that users have. Disabling it or enabling has no impact on system functioning, as far as I can tell.

Someone has already suggested a repair of IE (and provided a link) for same, but...until you provide the IE version installed, it's hard to be sure that link is for the correct version of IE.

Louis

#9 katyrosess

katyrosess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

here is the info that comes up - if this helps any.
error signature
AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer 7.0.6000.16544
ModName:ntdll.dll
Modver: 5.1..2600.2180
Offset 00001010

does that help ?

Many many thanks!!

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:17 PM

I'm finding it's a bug and to disable certain protection. In lieu of that, try downloading Mozillia's Firefox browser and see if that works without problems. I know we still have to work on repairing I.E. to get Windows Updates, but at least you'll have a browser in the meantime
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

For future reference: Download SP2 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en Disregard all the overview talk about who it's for and using WinUpdate. Just download it :thumbsup:.

Reinstalling SP2 is the suggested method of repairing IE for XP SP2 users.

Louis

#12 katyrosess

katyrosess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

thanks for your reply - i did do the suggested download
by the way i have stopped ie from asking if i want to send a report in
however, i still get dropped from ie when i change web pages and it says an error has occurred,
I can minimize the current web page and continue on- just can't leave it
(sigh)

#13 Novice_Sufferer

Novice_Sufferer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

Firstly, As name suggests, I am a Novice and a sufferer of same problem too!!
however, I have managed a temporary solution!!!
I had similar problem with INTERNET EXPLORER; and then changed to AOL Browser with no longer problems. Off note, my sister's computer had similar problem; and when she started using mozilla firefox, the problem vanished.
I presume that my problem was probably related to infection from a spyware which hijacked my desktop! SmitFraudFix probably did the trick!!
hope this helps!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users