Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin Usb Wireless Adapter Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orthanc

Orthanc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

Set up with Belkin wireless router which works fine as I can connect using my wife's laptop (hence this topic).
I use a Belkin USB wireless adapter which at first worked OK but I can no longer connect although I have made no changes.
My PC sees the connection as available but won't connect. I have tried 'repairing'. I have tried disabling and then enabling, rebooting etc etc.
I know very little about all this and am becoming very frustrated.
PLEASE can anybody help me.
Has any body had the same problem.
Not sure what details people might need from me so please ask and I will tried to answer.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Try this, Go to The My Computer icon on your desktop, right click and click on Manage. This will open up Computer Management,
Click on Device Manager and a tree of items will appear, see if any items have a yellow circle with a black exclamation mark; especially Network adapters.

See how you go,

Regards,

Tony
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 Orthanc

Orthanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:59 PM

Everything is show as fine within Device Manager.
Each time I try to connect I get the message 'the network did not assign a network address to the computer'

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

This is likely due to the router not being setup for DHCP. This would mean the IP address would not be assigned on the wireless device. This will either need to be enabled or have the wireless device setup for a static IP in the same range as the Router.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#5 oasisjennie

oasisjennie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

This is likely due to the router not being setup for DHCP. This would mean the IP address would not be assigned on the wireless device. This will either need to be enabled or have the wireless device setup for a static IP in the same range as the Router.

I have the same problem as the person who started this discussion. Cable modem, desktop PC, and laptop. I purchased a Belkin wireless router and wireless USB adaptor. Hooked it all up, worked fine for maybe an hour, with an occasional interruption here and there (had to sometimes click on links 3-4 times to get them to go). Anyway after about an hour it completely stopped working, both the wired desktop and my laptop. If it has to do with DHCP, how do I go about enabling the IP address/ assigned to the wireless device? Or the other? I am not real familiar with all of this, I just know basics.

Thanks for your help, this has been very frustrating as every time one of us needs the internet, we have to switch the cable from one computer to another...I just want to both be able to use the internet at the same time!

#6 Orthanc

Orthanc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

Having uninstalled everything from USB adapter to the router, I started afresh and so far everything is working OK.
Still not sure why this happened in the first place but thanks to all who gave advise.
I spoke to a couple of network guys from my work and as soon as I mentioned Belkin they laughed and said that they were not surprised.
Rgds to all...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users