Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning To Cd Woes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:22 PM

I need this function back …

Copy to CD > file goes into a special folder waiting to be burned onto the CD
Click on the special folder > burn to CD … and poof, the file burns directly onto the disk.

When I try this now, it always says, “No disk”. There is a disk, honestly. (Have tried RW and regular ones, all high quality – it makes not a lick of difference).

This problem did not exist until the first time I used Roxio that came built-into this computer from the factory, so can only assume Roxio somehow has ‘taken over’. The burning fuction still works but the only way to burn anything onto a disk now is via Roxio – ugh!

So I …
Uninstalled the Roxio program.
But the usual above function of my Windows XP no longer works anymore.
Put Roxio back onto computer.
Went to Roxio site and after getting mind-boggled, finally found a section that seemed to pertain to this woe. Followed their steps precisely and still have the same woe.

All I want to do is go back to having the above built-in Windows XP function where I can simply burn easily. (I’ll happily delete Roxio once again and never, ever reuse it – grin!).

Any ideas, please?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hello MaraM,

I'm not sure if this will help, but it might:

In My Computer, right-click on the drive in question, then select Properties. Click on the Recording tab and verify that the checkbox "Enable CD recording on this drive" is checked.

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

Did that and darned if the silly thing is not persisting in only recognising the burner when Roxio is used. Drat, drat.

But thanks so much for trying, M..., really do appreciate your kindness.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hi Mara, :thumbsup:

How about trying DeepBurner.
I find it easy to use plus it burns CD's and DVD's.
It's from our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

I work with graphics and photos and normally use CR-RW because I used to add/delete from a disk all the time, but since Roxio took over, even with it's burning capabilities, it won't let me do it. Drat, drat!

Guess the 'natural function for burning' via the built-in Windows XP thingie is gone forever and can't be fixed - sigh - but off I go to delete every single trace of that pesky Roxio, then download and install the free version of DeepBurner.

Thanks so much, TMack, I truly appreciate it!

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:49 AM

Until you get rid of Roxio completely, it can and often will, cause conflicts with any other software you try.

Here are Roxio's instructions for a clean "install" of Roxio on XP. Fortunately, it also tells you how to get rid of it first!

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR

These instructions are proof of just how invasive Roxio is and a simple add/remove doesn't get it all. You didn't say what version of Roxio you have. If your version is older, there may be different directions for them. But this should get you on the right track.

This may or may not fix the XP CD burner, but truthfully, you'd be better off using other software anyway. Stay away from Nero too. It's just like Roxio. Bloated with stuff most people will never use and just as hard to get rid of.

How do I enable CD burning for Limited accounts?

This tip does not apply to Nero users, it is only for XP's built-in CD burning feature.

Allow limited users access to CD Burning:

To allow Limited User's to burn CD's, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT. Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Look in the right pane for AllocateDASD and double click the entry. Set the value to 2.

On PRO, this is exposed in Local Security Policy under Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options

"Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable media"

For XP Pro, you can do this by clicking Start, Run and entering SECPOL.MSC

Go to Local Policies, Security Options, look in the right pane for Devices: Allowed to Format and eject removable media. Set this option to Administrators and Interactive Users

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/limiteduser_cdburning.htm

or a script to do that is here:

xp_cdburn_auth.vbs - Enable CD Burning for Limited Users
© Doug Knox - rev 03/25/2002

Usage: Download xp_cdburn_auth.vbs and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to log off/log on or reboot for the change to take effect. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to the specific Registry key and value that are updated.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cdburn_auth.htm

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:24 AM

Seems that I have noticed...when OEM software accompanies an optical drive, no other software will recognize/utilize that drive for burns.

Must be something in the software...I'd try removing the Roxio software if you really think it essential to use the XP process (if your Roxio is OEM).

Louis

#8 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

Mara, if you go to Start > Run > Type "services.msc" then hit enter....

Make sure you are looking in the "Standard" tab, then look for the service called IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service and make sure it is either set to automatic, or if it is stopped select "Start", then reboot.

I don't honestly know if this will resolve the situation, but this is the service for XP burning. (The software behind the XP burning is coincidentally licensed to Roxio.)

#9 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

Seems that I have noticed...when OEM software accompanies an optical drive, no other software will recognize/utilize that drive for burns.

Must be something in the software...I'd try removing the Roxio software if you really think it essential to use the XP process (if your Roxio is OEM).

Louis

Manufacturers that ship software with their hardware will tell you that you can only use what they shipped with. But there's no reason other software won't/can't work. It may take awhile to find the software that works best for you though. My old HP Desktop came with Roxio and I switched. My old Sony CD writer came with B's Gold, which I hated and changed.

Their support will tell you that any problems you might have are because you are not using "their" software though.

I now have an LG DVD-CD Combo burner that came bundled with Nero. Never installed Nero. I've used Ashampoo Burning Studio, Cool CD Burner (a lighter free version of Cheetah, and it burns DVD's too), and ImgBurn for burning .nrg (Nero) files, and a couple of others in the past. The three I mentioned are my favorites.

The biggest problem is learning to give up the convenience of packet writing programs, like Roxio Direct CD (is it still called that?). Those are the ones that give you the right-click on a file and send to...your burner. Packet writing is 95% of all the problems. Once I got used to using an explorer type interface and picking what to burn, it was a piece of cake.

Another thing to look for is a program that will recognize and burn multi-session data disks more or less automatically. Some of them don't. They only let you burn a disk one time. Or you have to hunt all over the place to set each burn as multi-session or it'll finalize on you when you don't want it to.

Edited by mommabear, 24 September 2007 - 02:03 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

Comments appreciated, I now realize that I said it all backwards :thumbsup:.

What I meant to say is: No other attached drive will be able to use that OEM software that came with the purchased drive. The drive itself should be able to use any appropriate software package that recognizes the drive (unless it's very old software).

There was a time when Nero and Roxio each would only function with specific drives, but that era has been over for about 3 years :flowers:.

Apologies for the confusion/misinformation.

Louis

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful help!

And your right - once one uses Roxio poof!, the auto built-in thingie refuses to function and worse, even romoving Roxio doesn't get it back. And removing Roxio is far from easy - Eep! In fact, Windows Add/Delete didn't do it so I reverted to C Cleaner and while it seems to have got all of it, once again the auto built-in fuction was gone.

(The hardest thing for me when I first started with a computer was figuring out what programs one could use as an alternative to the expensive ones that often come pre-loaded and are disabled after 30 days, etc. Finding our section which lists the freebies was great - now perhaps we should add a section to it on what to avoid? :thumbsup: If I'd only known Roxio was such a poop, I'd never have used it the first time).

Thanks again for the latest advice - off to try it now! Yipee!

#12 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

Thanks so much for trying, jwinathome - I had my hopes up as the wee tab changed from 'Stopped' to 'Started', which can only be a good thing, even if sadly my auto-burner still won't work. The computer simply and utterly still refuses to believe I have a disk in.

And I couldn't agree with you more, mommabear - Roxio is a nightmare to get rid of. I'd found a section (darn near became cross-eyed trying to find it originally) and followed it ever so carefully and with no success. But thanks for finding what you did as oddly enough it's different than what I found - darn Roxio!

And when you said, "The biggest problem is learning to give up the convenience of packet writing programs, like Roxio Direct CD" you truly hit the problem I'm having. The Roxio I have is not 'direct CD' so every single time I want to use it I have to open the program itself and add each single item one at a time. Worse, with my RW disks, it literally will not let me add/alter/delete any image - ugh.

Okay - now that Roxio is totally gone and I have 'Deep Burner' loaded, hopefuly I can find a section within it for 'direct' burning - it would be the next best thing to my auto-burn that seems gone forever.

Whatever would I do without all the wonderful help I receive here?!!! Thank you, thank you!

#13 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

MaraM,

If you really want to get that built-in XP auto-burn functionality back, you might look at this:

"How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW optical disc in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129

About 3/4 of the way into that article, it specifically addresses the error message: "There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive." If the process described there works, you may even want to use the XP driver, if there is one available.

#14 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

Thanks M ..., I'm off to see if I can comprehend the Microsoft instructions and thanks so much for finding the support for me! Really, really appreciate your kind help.

Oh, while I think of it ... when you say 'XP driver' do you mean a specific driver meant for the actual thingie that does the 'burning'?

#15 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

MaraM,

It is the very low-level software module that lets Windows communicate with the optical device.

I've never gone through that (KB324129) exact process before, but at 'Step 5.' there ("5. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes."), I'm assuming that Windows will give you a choice regarding whence to obtain the new device driver. Usually, the choices are something like "Let Windows search for the best driver" and "I have the disk/file for the driver". I was suggesting letting Windows search for the best driver (one that is "built into Windows").

However, if Windows can't find one, the safest thing to do is to make sure you have a driver available before you start this process. Your previous posts don't indicate the make/model of your computer, or of the optical drive itself. You also said that everything came preinstalled. Do you have a "Drivers" CD that came with your computer? If so, then the device driver is probably somewhere on that CD.

Perhaps the safest way to proceed here is to first download the Belarc Advisor, to determine the make and model of your computer and the make and model of the optical drive.

"Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit":

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Another tool that provides similar information is "System Information for Windows":

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Once you have determined the make/model of the optical device, go to the manufacturer's site to download and save the device driver for that particular optical device. Or, you may need to go to the site of the manufacturer of your computer itself and search for the driver for that optical device. Don't install/run that file yet -- just download it and save it somewhere on your computer.

Then, go through the process described in that Microsoft KB324129 article. If Windows can't automatically find a device driver, then just tell it use the file you have downloaded, or tell Windows to use the one on the "Drivers" CD that came with your computer (if you have such a CD).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users