Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Start Icons Aspect Randomly Change ;-(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bostella

bostella

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:01 PM

Hello - I have an issue with my freshly installed PC running XP sp2 Professional Edition : all my quick start icons, at the bottom left corner of the screen randomly change of aspect, e.g Desktop Icon becoming MSN or Mozilla or ITunes or whatever......Have you seen this before ? Can it be related to Spyware/Malware or even a Virus ? I have AVG AntiSpyware and AVirus that I run daily.

Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

On first impressions, it would appear that these symptoms are synonymous with spyware or malware.

My thoughts would be to run Ad-Aware free edition and also Spy-Bot search and destroy in safe mode, if there is anything amiss, the combination of these two should search the problems out.

Hopefully this should clear your problem.

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Bonneville, 22 September 2007 - 04:20 PM.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 bostella

bostella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hello - I did run Spybot S&D and Adaware (free) scans, and removed all spyware they detected but still have this weird issue.....not sure what's happening.

Thanks.

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:38 PM

Hello bostella,

This might help: "Icons randomly change to different icons":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q132668/

#5 bostella

bostella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

Thanks a lot M...

exactly what I needed. The issue is gone now just by modifying/resetting my display parameters.

Thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users