Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worth The Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Raymond42c

Raymond42c

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

Here is my current card:
XFX PVT73PYDJ3 GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Here is the good deal I found (at least I think its a good deal):
XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - for about $150

My question is, am I going to see a $150 difference between the two cards, or any difference at all. Video cards are the one thing that I don't really understand the numbers on. I understand its a newer GPU, but then its less memory on the card (512 v. 256). Is the better GPU a larger advantage over the better memory?

The other thing is that I'll never be able to SLI bridge the first card because its out of production and can't seem to get my hands on one, so for future SLI bridging I might want to get the new card as well. But I can only afford one now, so does anyone think this card will go out of production in less than a year? And yes, bought the first card in may and now I have the money to SLI two together and I can't find another card, go figure huh? :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
- Raymond42c
/insert clever signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

More that 256MB of memory is a waste on anything other than high-end GPU's. Manufacturers put more memory to make consumers think the graphics card is better than it is. A 8600GTS should give you at least a 30% performance improvement over a 7600GS in gaming. If it's worth $150 is up to you.

SLI isn't usually worth it with midrange cards. Your much better of getting a high-end card.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Raymond42c

Raymond42c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

Thank you. That helps explain a lot. And yeah, the 30% is probably a good upgrade since I have another comp that isn't for gaming that I can through the old 7600 into.

P.S. nice cat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users