Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not Starting - no POST

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevlamh

kevlamh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:02 AM

:flowers: Hi all,

Thought that I would share my recent experience with you.

My PC was working great this last weekend - I shut down properly etc on Sunday.

On Monday, switched on :thumbsup: NO POST!. The HDD lamp was on, but nothing further. Opened up and fiddled with cabling and PSU, no visible problems, switched on - POST and away we went.

Tuesday A.M. switched on, again no post! Spoke to my IT pals at work, they advised me to check my HDD IDE ribbon. Did this and hallelulja, my PC is alive and well, actually running even better than before.

The ribbon was not loose or anything like that, it had actually gone faulty (evidently a data pin had gone"High" [resistance]at the MB connector)!! Wierd!

Obviously, the ribbon was replaced!!

Hope this helps someone with a similar problem!

Regards,

Kev' :trumpet:

Edited by kevlamh, 09 February 2005 - 07:08 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:50 PM

Thats go to know. Excellant post. I know of someone with simular problems .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 10 February 2005 - 03:40 PM

not arguing on what was faulty. but a pc can have a post without a hdd.
So why what did the cable have to do with it?
Posted Image

#4 kevlamh

kevlamh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:19 AM

:thumbsup: Hi Futs,

A PC can only post without a HDD if you have set the boot sequence of the bios to A:,C: etc and boot from a floppy or CD -ROM! The problem is that if you do have a HDD in the system and have set the sequence C:,A: (as I have) you will have a problem as the bios looks for the drive set as the first boot device.

Due to the fact that one of the data sockets of my C: HDD ribbon cable went "High resistance", the bios couldn't detect the drive and couldn't POST.

Actually a very good question, as this has made me rethink my bios setup - I will be setting this to A: C: as soon as I get home!!! :flowers:

Regards,

Kev'
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users