Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Widescreen Monitor Distortion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rmiller

rmiller

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

I just purchased a Samsung 920NW monitor for my Dell Dimension 4500 computer (Windows XP Home 2002 Edition). I think I have installed the correct driver, having followed the directions on the installation disk.

Everything on the monitor looks stretched. I have tried to adjust the settings in the display menu, but nothing works. Under the display menu, settings tab, I only have 3 options for screen resolution (800x600; 1024x768; and 1152x864). None of these looks very good. For what its worth under the display menu, setting tab it says Display: Sync Master 920NW on 32 MB ATI Range 120 Ultra.

Any help that anyone could provide to help me get rid of the stretch/picture distortion would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

I have a 19" Gateway and on the side I have a selection of buttons , one you want to start with is menu button and a list should come up which you want to look for the geometry settings. Hopefully that should take care of the problem you are having. I think or hope it does.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:56 PM

Your monitor has a native resolution of 1440x900, aspect ratio 16:10.

Unfortunately if you mean your video is ATI Rage 128 Ultra, this resolution may not be natively supported:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/vide...ecs_video_modes

For best results, you need to be able to set your video to 1440x900, or another lower one with the 16:10 ratio (which will give larger on-screen images but slightly less clarity due to interpolation).

If your card provides DVI output and you're using this, there are some reports of this giving less resolution choices, so try the VGA connection in this case.

The latest driver update from Dell or ATI may provide more resolutions, but possibly not 1440x900 if this is not considered native to the video chip.

Another possibility you could try is a video utility like PowerStrip:

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

That one is a try-before-you-buy shareware type product, so you could see if it enables the correct resolution for you.

If you are completely unable to get the card to provide a suitable 16:10 resolution, you'll either have to compromise on appearance or update to a more current video card.

Edited by Platypus, 22 September 2007 - 09:58 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users