Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq 5151 Maybe Dead

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 not_anyone

not_anyone

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

:thumbsup: Ok I had a norton testing my files or hard drive do not remember. I have tried the restore disks and can't get them to work tells a non system disc. Back to the norton program it asked me about the cmos being changed I said ok. After that I restarted the computer and nothing, then I could get a compaq screen to appear then it goes to a flashing - . I have tried the f keys and can not get into the bios. when I try to get into the bios I get a keyboard error. It has windows 98se its really old computer but I would like to have it for the grandkids to play games on. I don't know if it can ever be fixed. Also was wondering about the hard drive diagnostic disk you can download, will any of them help. Like I said I do not know much about computers.
Thanks,
not_anyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

Has this computer been up and running recently or did you bring it out of the closet for the grandkids? I suspect the CMOS battery is dead. That's why Norton said there was a change in the BIOS. What key are you trying for the BIOS? I think for old Compaqs it's F10
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 not_anyone

not_anyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

I will check that out. I have had it out but it has just been sitting there, since it went blank on me it was about a year ago. How do I check the battery.
thanks

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:48 PM

Take the side of the case off. Most likely ( unless it's REAL old) you will see a silver coin sized battery. Gently lift and pry it out and replace it. It should be a CR2032 Drug stores sell them
Mark
Speaking of diagnostics, Compaq/HP has their own program.
go here:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/

"Select your model desktop and download the Softpaq for theComputer
Setup. Run this SoftPaq and it will create a boot floppy from which you can
enter the BIOS. You might want to download the Personal Computer Diagnostics
SoftPaq as well."

Edited by garmanma, 22 September 2007 - 02:57 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 not_anyone

not_anyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

I haven't gotten around to taking it apart will let you know more then and thanks Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users