Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vga Upgrade Questions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayzce

jayzce

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:12 AM

I have a question and its regarding my vga card, i have an HP slimline type pc the S3180D here is the product specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN and i wanted to know if i can use the MSI Nvidia based GeForce 8800Ultra. My pc currently has an Nvidia 7300LE it has a 64Mb DDR i wanted to replace this using the Geoforce 8800 ultra question is can i make use of this card since my CPU is slimtype i hope this 8800 will fit. I just wanted to know if this could be the best upgrade for my video card? or there are others out there for me to consider. I'm more inline with Nvidia cards.

looking forward to hear from you and hopefully post again when i get it replaced and share my satisfaction after upgrading to 8800 ultra. Suggestions for a better card Nvidia based are more thank welcome. Please let me know what will be the best upgrade.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

Well, if slimline means it's quite smaller, it probably won't fit. The 8800's are very bulky cards.

I just looked up the case though, and it looks like a mid size desktop. Maybe you could take some pictures of the inside of the case for us?

Also another thing, if your power supply good enough? Whats the total wattage and how many amps on the +12V rail?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 jayzce

jayzce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:45 AM

i'll try to take some pics but what 8800 im talking about is the one from MSI my 7300LE is an MSI too Nvidia based. So i thought that maybe looking for some MSI Nvidia based cards too so they will fit my case. here is the one i'm looking into http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....C&class=vga as for the power supply i would have to check on that how can i find that one out?

If power is an issue i guess i would have to go for a lower model that can accommodate the newer VGA card. i dont wanted to mess with the power supply of this PC since it's still under warranty just bought this a few days ago and my upgrade includes 1GB built in and move to a 2GB mem. and hopefully get a newer higher memory VGA card.

Thanks

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:45 AM

If I remember correctly, a person had this problem a few weeks back. He bought the card and it wouldn't fit and he was trying to find an adapter of some kind. The detailed specs. page for the card should give you the dimensions
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

Cramming an 8800 into the slimline case will be a recipe for disaster - the extra heat generated could quickly overwhelm what little cooling ability that the slimline case has. Try looking for a half height video card ( http://www.google.com/search?q=half+height...lient=firefox-a ) or a low profile video card ( http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users