Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLAYSTATION 2

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:18 AM

I only had my playstation 2 slimline version for 2 months and it has been sent back for repaires. because i can play some games and can't play others. i don't play PSOne games on it. After that was taken care of. they sent it back and i played on it for about 2 days and it overheated and smoke came out of it. they will be replacing it.
pretty crappy machine. i prefer the old version

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:48 AM

Yes the New size one doesn't have Nearly the cooling it needs but it sounds to me that they messed it up. its good your getting a replacement probably a cover up/hush you up LOL.

Oh and HATE HATE HATE HATE You can't turn the darn thing off!

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:50 AM

OH WOW! I am glad I saw this post about the slim PS2. My kids PS2 original one is on the fritz and I was thinking of getting the new one. That was a close call. I think I will buy the original one again. Is there a way to clean the PS2 tho? Maybe that is all that's wrong with it.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:06 AM

Pandy there is nothing wrong with the PS2 Slim. As for Izzy's case it happened a lot more with the Old PS2's. when they first came out people had to send them back many times for repairs. the Original PS2R-1 (Release 1 there has been 3 Releases now that Iím aware of) was actually ruining disc for people who played more than 5 hours at a time. (even tho it had feet on the side it wasnít built to handle the Gravity) The PS2R-2 ones are much better in that aspect. but when fixing that they lessened the life of the DVD Playing components, and you would get a ďHeat scratchĒ (is what I call it) on a disc if you had in for a couple days. (if the PS2 is standing up) they combated this with the new (OLD) technology of Locking the disc in so it will not be affected by the Gravity. also it runs a tad bit cooler thatís why there is Lack of cooling built in The Slim Design. Because its small and has everything built in itís VERY Nice Specially if you donít have much room and or have one in a car. but as with any technology there is something that can go wrong with it. but its not always the same something that happens to every person. me personally havenít had one bit of trouble with the PS2-Mini. (Except that annoying red light lighting up whole room while trying to sleep, because you canít turn the darn thing off without unplugging it!!!)

Oh and Pandy you can find Cleaners at many places. all depends whatís wrong with it if it will clean it or not tho.

BTW Pausing a Game for 5 days while not playing it = BAD Idea :thumbsup:

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:40 AM

Thanks LoLucky.. It is at least worth a try to clean it before I buy new. I mean it will work sometimes.. but it takes try after try. LOL So I can't clean it myself? I have to buy a cleaner? OK I will look for one. Thank you very much.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:02 PM

my v v old PS1 still works fine, my PS2 actually packs up more than it!

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:32 AM

I got my replacement PS2 this afternoon. havn't used it yet but maybe tomorrow. i had very quick response. but there is no hush hush about troubles i have with anything i by. people aske me about anything that i have if its good i say its good if its not then i say its not. as for the PS2 or anything some people may just get a faulty one. but i reckon they messed it up when they tried to repair it. Yes i HATE that darn light too. luckily my powerpoint is up high and its in one by itself i can just switch it off.

Edited by Izzy, 10 February 2005 - 04:32 AM.

#8 twistofcain1976

twistofcain1976

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:41 AM

i've just started using the PS2 Slim a couple months ago
i too hate the no power off, so i just power down then yank the plug out.
i do notice the heat after hours of play, does get pretty warm.
so does my DVD player, it's a cheaper slim style too, so no cooling i suppose

it's never had troubles play any games though *knock on wood*
... but i have had it seem to stall a little once or twice while playing a game.

Edited by twistofcain1976, 14 February 2005 - 11:41 AM.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:45 PM

i have been using my ps2 slim now its back still gets warm though, but i play all games i have. havn't tried others yet. but if i see an original ps2 (not slim) anywhere when i go to brisbane next week, i'll get it. keep ps2 to for emergency back up.

#10 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:25 PM

man, the feedback so far for the ps2 slimline leaves a lot to be desired! i dont think i'll be investing in one at this rate :thumbsup:

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:39 PM

Although the comments may be on the negative here, one may wonder whose PS2 Slim has worked as expected. More people comment for a complaint then a praise.

I for one am thankful for members sharing their experiences. I was going to purchase one soon, but I may look harder for an older version. Besides, there is one game that can NOT be played with it.

Pandy, you may want to try your PS2 on its side for a while. I remember that many uses actually wear the laser housing just enough that it will not read properly.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:44 PM

i was told its reccomended to have you playstation sitting like a DVD player as putting it on its side doesn't do it very good like putting it out of alignment or something.

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:46 PM

It is true that the slimline is recommended to stay that way, but the 'older' style can be used either way. It(the older style) even has stablizing pads on 2 sides.

Edited by JEservices, 14 February 2005 - 08:46 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:57 PM

The problems with Sony new items are fairly common. I remember standing in line for 4 hours one cold Saturday morning just to be one of the first 100 in line when the PS2 came out. After several repairs over the next year or so (the tracking arm seemed to be a problem), I finally bought a new PS2 and have not had a problem with it for over two years. Sometimes it pays NOT to be on the "cutting edge."
I have to share the concern with the slim one overheating, though.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#15 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

the replacement PS2 slim gets hot and freezes the game more than my old one, i rang the SONY and they are going to try and get me a normal one since i'm not having much luck with the new SLIM bleep version. only good thing is space saving.

Izzy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users