Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My New Build Help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Midtown1672

Midtown1672

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hey guys, I am a curently building a new computer for myself and this would be my first time, so I get my parts and im working on it and I can't seem to get a display on my monitor. My fans are spinning (system fan, cpu fan, video card fan) I just wanna know if any of my parts are wrong and if I should just send all my stuff back and try again. I have tryed reseting the CMOS and taking out battery and replacing everything but no dice. I also when I try to turn it off I hold my power button its half shuts off and stays on but when i try to turn it of again, it goes off completely. I can't even get the D bracket 2 to lit up at all.

Spec:

-MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail
-Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model -KVR667D2N5K2/2G - Retail
-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I have an old IDE cd/dvd burner rom drive and a Gefore 8600 GT XXX Edition. I have been working at this for a short time and have lost all patience with myself....please someone help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:52 PM

doublecheck all the connections on the motherboard

even disconnecting all the case wires and manually shorting the power on connections

what case did you use? sure you have all the power connections right?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Midtown1672

Midtown1672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

View My Video
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here it is, now i hear clicking sound from the SATA hardrive and my video card is disconnected from the cpu and reconnected nothing still........I fixed my power down problem but my reset wont work :thumbsup:

Edited by Midtown1672, 21 September 2007 - 10:52 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:33 AM

sounds like you got in a rush assembling everything, reseat the vid card and doublecheck polarity on the case to motherboard connectors
Chewy

#5 Midtown1672

Midtown1672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:14 AM

How do i doublecheck polarity on the case to motherboard connectors

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

Didn't you say you got two sticks of ram? I only see one in the pictures. Anyways, this could be a ram problem. You should try out different sticks in different spots.

One time my friends computer had a stick of ram too fast in it and it got toasted. The computer would boot, but with no display until a new stick of ram was put into it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

your manual has a diagram for how the power on, reset and power led and hd led should be hooked up

this stuff is not really for a beginner w/o some electronics experience

having a friend help with the first build or two is all one needs tho
Chewy

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

When you reseated everything you Did turn it off and unplug it right? While watching your video I saw the green light on the motherboard on and you pulling the video card thats not good hopefully you didn't cause any damage. Try the suggestions posted. The best option would be to take EVERYTHING out of the case and start over from scratch rather then trying to find out what you missed. This is usually the best and fastest method to make sure you didn't miss anything. Don't forget new thermal paste on the CPU, Does the computer pass the post test?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Midtown1672

Midtown1672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

I have an idea that might be better and I want an opinion on this. I think i shorted the motherboard because i forgot to put in the studs on the cases so the motherboard is lifted in the first place and i powered it on a couple times. So, my question is is all my stuff compatible with each other and if I just screwed up building or i bought the wrong stuff.

So my mind is going deciding on these two options
option1 :replace everything and try again but again is everything compatible with the other parts?

option2:return them and get a refund for it...(note i would lose 79 dollars because of Newegg's restocking fee which is 15%)

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:37 AM

you have probably fried the motherboard, and should order another one, get some help to put it in, do a little reading

read the manual and included literature befoe attempting anything

missing putting in the standoffs is from assuming you just slap a computer together, being able to assemble a computer is a valuable skill, chauk the price of a motherboard up to education

After doing this stuff for 10 years I still catch myself going too fast and have to slow down and doublecheck everything
Chewy

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

I completely agree with Dachew :thumbsup: . You can't learn from sitting on the side lines
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 Midtown1672

Midtown1672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:47 AM

One more question my case came with rubber things that look like a pyramid. Is there something i need to do with them. I know this is annoying but my case manual is very bad in detailing anything

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:09 AM

Are there four of them? They are probably the feet for the bottom of the case. I think they are good to put on because they absorb shock/vibrations.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#14 Midtown1672

Midtown1672
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

There are only two of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users