Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Search Function Isn't Working

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie


    Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

  • Members
  • 16,485 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:18 PM

My search function isn't working at all. Start Menu/Search brings up the page where I type in what I'm looking for. Lo and behold, the search of my C drive takes less than 5 seconds before it tells me
Search is complete. There are no results to display.
I run the search again-same thing.
After that I did 4 things:

1) Searched for a file I know exists on my slave (F) drive.
2) Searched for my recipes folder on C. This folder does exist on C. I randomly chose to search for it as part of my test of search function.
3) Searched for recipes again and set this one to look in both drives.
4) Logged on to the desktops of the other two computer users-search works on both of them. (As I type this, the hound has been unleashed on my daughter's account and is searching for what I originally wanted to find out if I have)

All three search results were the same as above-5 seconds, complete, no results.
Any ideas as to what may cause this issue and how to solve it?

Three weeks ago I re-installed Windows XP. Tonight was the first time I've used search since the re-install.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 September 2007 - 09:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 david28


    Forum Member

  • Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

Your files system might be corrupt. The only way to fix that is by clean install of XP or whatever you are running.

Alternatively, try making a user account and then do a search on the new account and see if the same problem occurs. If it works fine then make new user accounts for everyone and delete the old ones. (Copy the old accounts files).

Also before you do any of this, try do a scandisk and search for errors.

It is a lot of information but I am sure this will help you with your problem.


#3 Queen-Evie


    Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 16,485 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

David, thank you for your reply. I had already thought about creating a new user account for myself.
Had issues in the past where I've had to do that when all other attempts to fix have failed.

This morning, before I resorted to a new user account, I did some checking and found the problem.

I expanded and took a peek at what was listed under More Advanced Options. Found that NOTHING there was checked. Once I checked I few areas to search, it worked.

But now for the puzzling part. In the past, those paramenters (Search system folders, hidden files and folders, etc) have always been set as default locations-I've never had to tell it where to look. Just for kicks, I created a new account, pulled up Search, checked under Advanced and the boxes were indeed already checked.

I suppose the little ghosties and goblins have been messing with my pc again. At least the hound now works when he is unleashed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users