Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie "ultimate Cleaner?"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Vista Home Premium O/S here. Was on a website (legit one) and clicked on a link to watch some music videos (legit, too!), then I got a popup window advising that I needed to update my website history and such, and that my personal information was at risk if I did not download/install Windows Ultimate Cleaner. This was not your typical spam type popup, it looked like a valid one from Windows, and it did say recommended within the window. I did NOT download/install, I just exited the site that I was viewing.

Like I said, this one looked to be legit, but one can never be sure. Does anyone have knowledge of this "Ultimate Cleaner?" It was a free scan as well. Thanks for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tomatobaby

tomatobaby

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

hi jounior i had the exact same thing and i was riddled with a virus and spyware and my husband had the same thing and that took over his computer it took us three days to get rid of them we had to reformat his computer in the end so if u havent done already run a virus and spyware scan to make sure it hasnt put a virus on hun

from sammy

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

See Bleeping Computer's info on Ultimate Cleaner in link below. Smitfraudfix does not work in Vista. You should though scan with Super Antispyware. It removes Smitfraud malware.
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
Under "General and Startup", make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
Click Close to exit the program and reboot normally.

Bleeping Computer's Info on Ultimate Cleaner:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98916/how-to-remove-ultimate-cleaner-removal-instructions/

Edited by buddy215, 21 September 2007 - 08:29 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

Thanks,

Running AVG virus scan now, to be safe.

#5 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

More research found this:

http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Paras...ltimate_Cleaner

This was quite possibly the most "authentic looking" popup/spyware window I have ever seen. For those reading this thread, BEWARE! This stuff is bad news!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users