Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista/home/premium-file Permissions Goin' Crazy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

its actually starting to drive me nuts with this file/application permission, if i open some programs it will come up "Windows Needs Your Permission to Continue" or if i rename a file "Destination Folder Access Denied" - "Renaming File" - "you need permission to confirm this operation" - i click on continue - "User Account Control" - "If you started this action, continue" - File Operation Microsoft Windows" - i click continue.

I'm the administrator and clicking once to do anything now is a thing of the past its clicking 3 or 4 times to do anything and longer, not quicker. Anyone else having this trouble??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

Yes this happens to me to when I am mucking about in restricted folders, but I seldom do that. Most of my file management I do in folders where normal privileges is enough so I don't see any of that. Where are you nosing around that you are running into that all the time? Usually the only time I see the UAC dialogue is when starting some programs that need admin privileges.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

I'm just in a folder in "My Documents"

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:47 PM

What happens if you click on 'Run as Administrator"?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

You can always Stop UAC, not recommended though.

I get lots of "Advanced" users complaining about UAC, and many "Average" user thanking for it.

Maybe try and turn it off, and turn it on afterwards.

Start> "msconfig" in "start search"> Tools tab> Disable UAC> launch

to turn it on again...
Start> "msconfig" in "start search"> Tools tab> Enable UAC> launch

Not a solution though, but a good workaround.

Vista will never let you be an Admin, or at least 100%. Not even turning this down.

Mav

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

don't see option for "Run As Adminitrator" - i'm the only user and adminitrator and suppose to have full control....

Would adding another account and make it administrator, the delete the current account make any difference??

Edited by Izzy, 21 September 2007 - 06:04 PM.

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:00 AM

I'm just in a folder in "My Documents"

There is absolutely no reason why you should be trying to get into "My Documents" in Vista. It is called, by MS a "junction" folder. There is a long expalantion of it, but, in a nutshell, when you use anything dating to XP, which needs to access that folder undr XP's old file management, it supplies a shortcut to the new folders. (Users/your name/ Documents...Music..etc)
Altering the UAC will in no way give you access.
You have obviously customisied your Folder view settings to allow you to see system folders. This is normally not needed.
To alter the ownership in the properties is very unwise. If you tamper with anything inside "My Documents" you will screw up the correct folders.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:07 AM

Yes, UAC, permissions, and access control are a PITA - but they're also a lifesaver. The Administrator account in Vista is hidden by default and you've gotta go through some gyrations to even get it visible.

Another thing with Vista is the behavior of administrator type accounts. They behave as standard (limited) user accounts by default - and the elevation prompts from UAC are visible when it needs to elevate to administrator permissions. With a limited account the elevation prompt is a bit different, requiring you to enter administrator credentials in order to elevate. So, an administrator account behaves like a standard user account in most cases.

Finally, if you launch a program without the "run as administrator" option - then that program will run as if it was a standard (limited) user - this goes for any program. In order to "run as administrator" you'll have to locate the executable for the program and then right click on it to select "run as administrator".

You'll come to appreciate UAC more as you get more time with Vista surfing the web. You'll eventually notice an attempt or two to install something that you didn't ask for - this makes UAC worth all the trouble that it gives you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

i've changed to run as administrator but makes no difference. I certainly don't see why you need permission to rename my own files (Audio MP3 files) and also need "Permission" to delete them (confirmation yes fair enough)....if i import the audio files through Audacity then export as MP3 i then do not have that problem with Permissions its so stupid....shouldn't need it in the first place...

Edited by Izzy, 22 September 2007 - 03:26 PM.

#10 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:41 AM

There are programmers sitting in Microsoft offices with extraordinary and intriguing, reasoning powers. You can log in with as many users as you wish - they all have User Administrator rights! Where is the logic there. The fact is that they do not have Administrator rights. You can very easily, become the "Power" Administrator, which you have been accustomed to in previous editions of Windows. If you are happy with your own security (Anti virus etc) arrangements, I see no problem with this. "Advanced" users will issue dire threats however. As for the UAC - it's a laugh by the minute. It is so wasy, and automatic, to bypass it that it has become quite worthless. It is NOT, as is sometimes stated, a virus control. All it does is alerts you to the fact that an executive file is requesting to run on your computer. What you wish to do about it is still up to you.
Anyway fwiw, if you want to be the "Power " Adminstrator, it is too simple. It has been my preffered choice since windows 95 and will remain so - I take care of my own security.

In "RUN" type Control UserPasswords2
Go to Advanced abd the , in the next window, Advanced again. Click Users and Administrator. Untick "Account is disabled" Back out of the windows . Log off. You now have the option to logon as the Administrator.

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:37 AM

Doesn't work.when i go into the second advance it has a big red cross saying its not available with this version of windows...

#12 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:24 AM

You can try the instructions here:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2204/vista_...hip_system_file

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#13 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:47 PM

OK. If you have another than Ultimate or business, do this,
Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.

Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.

Log into windows Vista with your personal account that holds the administrator access.

Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following "net user administrator /active".

Log out and log back in as administrator.

#14 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:28 AM

this one didn't work: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2204/vista_...hip_system_file

this didn't work for me either:
Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.

Log into windows Vista with your personal account that holds the administrator access.

Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following "net user administrator /active".

Log out and log back in as administrator.

i think i'll put up with it.

Edited by Izzy, 30 September 2007 - 05:29 AM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

Your folders don't exist under My Documents - it's just a link (as uhaligani stated) and you won't be able to get the permissions as an administrator. In order to even view the folders you must run Windows Explorer as an admnistrator (and may even have to enable the viewing of System files).

Once into it, if you check the owner of the Documents and Settings junction point, you'll find that it has "System" permissions - which are higher than "Administrator" permissions. These System settings were well hidden in XP, and the action of taking ownership would give you enough permissions to do what you needed to do.

And, after going through all of that, you'll notice that the Documents and Settings junction point is merely a pointer to the User folder. And within that folder is your profile - and in that is a folder named "Documents" which is the location of your documents (it's no longer called My Documents - and the junction link of My Documents points to your Documents folder in your user profile in the Users directory. You'll find that if you access the documents through the Users directory, your profile, and the Documents folder - you'll be able to do whatever you need.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users