Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express, Lost E-mails; Did Do View, Layout

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 help!

help!

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:23 PM

I had my e-mail addresses there forever in OE; and then poof they were gone! :flowers:

I tried everything. View, layout, contacts.

I tried searching this forum, bad idea, I think I messed something up even worse?

I went to:

c:\documents and settings\owner\application data\microsoft\address book

and there were two things there:

owner.wab (address book file) and pictures of a book? 1,439 kb
owner. wab (wab ~ File) picture of ? 822 kb

same date and time were listed for each (which was today)

I clicked on the first wab and it said something about sharing and I clicked yes; hoping that would help. didn't, and I don't know if I shouldn't have done that?

I clicked on the second owner.wab and it said: "windows cannot open this file: To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Windowns can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. Neither choices helped; couldn't find it on the list; and the web couldn't find it." aaarrgghhhh

I searched in google; I've spent about 2 hours on this already!

I sure hope someone can help

I have a sony computer; xp; not old; plenty of space; no viruses; updated macafee; etc.

thanks! :thumbsup:

~Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 21 September 2007 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:52 PM

Found this one suggestion:
" The Windows Address Book data file is kept in C:\Windows\your-username.wab by default. The update points your Windows Address Book to H:\Address Book.wab. This allows your address entries to follow you around as your favorites do. This also allows your address book to be backed up on a regular basis.

To recover your address book, user Windows Explorer to Copy C:\Windows\your-username.wab to H:\Address Book.wab "

A few more here:
http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/403378...cts-disappeared
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

Hi,
this is too technical for me :flowers:
I just spent 1.5 hours trying to figure this out!!

you said:
" The Windows Address Book data file is kept in C:\Windows\your-username.wab by default.
The update points your Windows Address Book to H:\Address Book.wab.
This allows your address entries to follow you around as your favorites do. This also allows your address book to be backed up on a regular basis.
and:
To recover your address book, user Windows Explorer to Copy C:\Windows\your-username.wab to H:\Address Book.wab "

I went to c:\windows\and got no further
I don't know what "your-username.wab" is; I assume I was looking for my name? but I couldn't find it

then I went to the link you gave me; and spent so long
and now I've messed up something else

when I right click on something now to sent to e-mail; I don't get outlook express; I get gmail; which dont' use
is it because I went to tools, options, general, and change default mail handler? if so, I can't seem to change it back; it's greyed out;
but I think it's supposed to be!

also, in tools, options, connections, should the "contact list" be microsoft outlook (I use OE) or "address book"
there's only those two choices
I chose address book; but then it went back to microsof to mirosoft outlook I think :thumbsup:
I'm going crazy

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

Did you read this? It was in the link
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/wab.htm
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

yes, but it was too technical for me

I couldn't even do the first sentence: "open the WAB in OE and click help/about address book"
I don't know HOW to open the WAB in OE

and when I click on Help in OE, I have no "about address book"!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users