Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To Networking........

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Most

Most

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the networking game, I have been pretty much all hardware for the past several years and got thrown into running the network here at work. We have a small office network with about 20 computers on it and our server is an older Dell running W2000. I have quite a few PC's that aren't connected to the network drive or printers and I really don't know where to start. Like I said, I am new to this networking and it is very much my weak spot. I am asking what the best route to getting everyone back on the printers and network drive. I have looked up mapping but not real sure where to go from there. I can usually get the computer to connect to the network partially (like where it can see other shared items but not everything, I can only see things that are shared within new computers) but I can't connect to the computers from the server machine.

Anyone that could help would be greatly appreciated!!!

The past network guy really left things in a mess...........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hi, its a big task to explain to you how to manage users and printers on a server network. Have a look at the links then get back with any questions http://help.prtracker.com/CreateLocalUser2000.html
http://www.consultantcommons.org/eng/how_t...ows_server_2000
The biggest problem now is once you have added a user you need to give them permissions or put them into a OU. This is were you need someone to show you how it is done, not an easy task over the net.
Maybe your work should hire an IT network specialest to come in a help you for a while? Or a least get some books to help but it not the answer.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Most

Most
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

Thanks!

#4 bradk

bradk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

It largely depends on how complicated your network needs to be. I’m assuming when you say network drive you are referring to the data server. If everyone just needs to be connected to the data server and print server, and there are no restricted accesses in W2K it isn’t that hard.

Here is the setup for a SIMPLE network for a network where internal security isn’t a big risk:
(Note: if it were me and this was the first time I was doing this I would do 1 person at a time)

Make a list of all the users with their passwords, log onto the server, go to “control Control Panel/Administrative Tools/computer management/local users and groups/users”. When you are in the “users” box right click in the box and select “add new user”.

When the new user box opens enter all the relevant data including their password. (Here you must decide if the user has to change their password at next log in or if it’s informal small office where everyone trust each other then uncheck the “user must change password at next login” and select “password never expires”)

After you have added the person to the user box right click on their name and select “properties”. At the top of the users properties box select “member of” then when the box opens hit the “add” button at the bottom and select “administrator” then hit the “add” button again. The person should be a member of administrator and have all access rights.

Now go to the persons work station you just added and map their computer to the server. When you try to access the server it should ask you for a user name and password. Once you’ve established that connection they should be good to go.

Repeat the process for each user.

As far as the print server goes, all the networks I take care of have external print servers and that’s way different then setting up the Microsoft print service and I haven’t done that since school some 15 years ago. The external print servers have software that guides you through the procedure so it’s easy. I think I remember how to do it but not sure so I'll let someone else work you through the print server thing.

I just thought of an even simpler way to get your network up and running quickly if you just want each computer access to have to the data on the server and you aren’t worried about the people using the computer.. Let me know and I’ll post that way to…good luck!

P.S. make sure the data drive on the server is set for sharing!

Edited by bradk, 24 September 2007 - 05:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users