Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking Hdd Free Space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mmidas

mmidas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

The programs I have, plus Windows XP; do not total the amount of space "used" on my 40 Gb HDD. The free space has dropped from 8Gb to only 4Gb over the last week! Is there a way to check exactly what space all my legitimate software is occupying? I've run "disc clean up" and defragmented. emptied the recycle bin and deleted temporary internet files. but don't see any more freed up space. Am I just paranoid?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

A nice, free program for visualizing your hard disk's structure: http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoe...on/sequoiaview/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:59 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Along with the previous coments, it could be worth your while cleaning up your system restore points. If you have an excess amount of restore points, this will also take up a deal of space on the HDD.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

By disc clean up you mean
Start>Run
cleanmgr /sageset:50
I choose everything except compact old files
as I don't use indexing (disabled in services.msc)
or drive compression. Then use
Start>Run
cleanmgr /sagerun:50
Some programs have large log files also.
Trend Micro's PC-cillin was using half a gig in
Documents and Settings, All Users, Application
Data, Logs. Show hidden files and folders in Control
Panel, Folder Options.
Guess you already use CCleaner.
Might want to read this too...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users