Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Computer Freezes & Boots Me

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 messalina

messalina

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:54 AM

My computer is old...I know that but still, I wish to know why this happens. Think of it as a sick child or pet. My machine is a Cybermax by Microsoft. It was loaded with 98 but was reloaded with XPSP2 Pro. The original owner gave it to me but without any of the paperwork or applications (CD's). It has 400 MHz, 320 RAMS (120 recently added), AMD, Dial-up Modem, 12.11 GB and 8.17 GB Free Space. It was recently validated with WXP, thought to have had a virus so reformatted then reformatted again. After the validation it started booting me to the Bios page or freezing and going to a black screen where I had to turn off the CPU by holding it for five seconds. It has been in repairs and the repairman declares the problem is not Hardware. It has had Line Tests that are clean. I was getting AOLErrors (AC3000, 1502, 1200) messages with the disconnects with helped lead to the second reformatting. I cannot play games in game site or on emulators. And i have been booted when on IM and while just posting or having more than one page open. Anyone able to relate or able to suggest help, other than throwing it out the window. That will probably happen but not before I beat this issue to death. I'm middle aged and we don't give up that easily.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by messalina, 21 September 2007 - 11:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

The first thing that I'd suggest would be to get the Windows Product Key if it's not marked on the outside of the case - without the key you'll have to buy another copy of XP if the system crashes. There are several free programs that will let you know the key so that you can save it ( here's one: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Once that's done, the next most important thing to do is to backup everything that you can't stand to lose (in case the system crashes and can't be recovered.

Finally, how did you reformat it if you don't have the disks?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 messalina

messalina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

The computer was reformatted after it was validated. I have the WXPSP2 CD and of course the PK. After it was validated and i had to ask the original owner if she had the thing reloaded. I thought the WGA was because I sent it out to be cleaned and the guy used his disc, or that i had a new v-card installed, both of which are reported to give an invalid copy.

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hi messalina.

Since this is an "old" PC you should replace the BIOS's CMOS memory backup battery. If the BIOS is changing on you then WGA may be going crazy thinking you have tried to get the OS to run on a "different" PC.

Do you have the motherboard driver's installation CD ? How about for the modem ? Video card ?
However, XP may have all the needed drivers built into it.

Edited by WinCrazy, 21 September 2007 - 03:20 PM.

#5 messalina

messalina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:14 PM

Sorry all, I had to duck out on that last post before I finished it. A Microsoft Tech had called about an issue. I will take all and any suggestions under advisement. I'll ask about the BIO's and CMOS's backup Memory. I think WXP upadates its drivers automatically but I'll also ask about it. I say I think because someone suggested maybe it was with a video driver, so the MT went into the Devices manager and said the drives update themselves.

Guys, I have never claimed to know a rabbit's scut about computers, and probably never will. So please excuse my illiterance. A bit more about the computer: It also has AOL9.0 VR Revision 4327.165, Jave 6 (I believe), Shaockwave 10.2 or whatever is the latest. My Virus scans run clean, Spybot and Lavasoft pick up the normal or not, MRU's and Cookies, which I always delete or quarrantine. If I'm using them correctly. Seems just a matter of Clicking "Next" or "Fix Selected Items" or whatever. Thank all of you for being understanding and not coming down on me for wanting to know what ails my girl here.

Btw, I do have the box the V-Card was in and there is a CD in it.

Edited by messalina, 21 September 2007 - 05:40 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

I have never had good luck with the use of Windows Update to update device drivers - so I stay away from it for that purpose. And, I don't update drivers unless I'm having a problem. I had an HP computer that both the HP and the Windows Update video drivers caused the computer to crash - so I downloaded drivers directly from nVidia and have never looked back! :thumbsup:

That being said, if you're getting help from Microsoft - follow their instructions completely and don't mess with our stuff until you're done with them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 messalina

messalina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:21 PM

I guess I'm done with Microsoft. I finally got an error report after one of those infamous hangups to black screens. here is what it identified:

WINDOWS DISPLAY DRIVER STOPPED RESPONDING

The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot ...

Yesterday Microsoft uninstalled what was termed a corrupted driver and installed a new one. Teire advice: Try to recreate the error msg. We'll call back tomorrow (today) to see if the error returns. Well no it hasn't yet, But my machine still hangs and black screens on me.

Listen guys, do ya'll have any idea of what might normally cause a comp to go to a black screen even when offline. I have my computer on all day and well into the evening and the thing usuallu freezes on any online game I try to play as well as emulator games.

However, I can play the emulator in "Safe Mode" without losing the connection. Of course can't get online to see if the online games work in safe mode. Unless you guys know how I can do that as well. One more thing because some of the COMMANDS in my Modem Diagnostic have (=?) by them, she suggested I needed to have the Modem reconfigured or something. But, that there was a problem with the Modem.

======================

ALso, someone is giving me a comp but I think I would like to upgrade it a bit, How much can I boost this machine?

Gateway E4200 Pentium III

9.55 GB / 7.33 FREE SPACE

547 MHz

256 mram

WINDOWS XP SP2

CABLE MODEM will have to change to DIAL-UP MODEM

ETHERNET

Please, feel free to copy and insert what you think the maximum change can be. I will also want to run AOL's 9.0 VR and probably it's McAfee Security Suites which requires 500 MHz.

Thanks!

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

I noticed you said you have the box the video card came in. Can you give us the info on the box?
256MB is the min. for XP. 512 would be better. Your computer has 3 RAM slots and a max of 768MB of RAM Check it out here:
Crucial memory
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 02 October 2007 - 07:47 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 messalina

messalina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

The front:
Graphics by
ATi
Certified

Connect 3D

Radeon 7000 Series

TV/DVI OUT

AGP 2X/4X

Please tell me what you want from the back. BTW, what is the CD in the box for?

Meanwhile this is what was on Page two of my BIOS

System Configuration

CPU TYPE: AMD - K6 ™ -2
BASE MEMORY: 64 OK
CO-PROCESSOR: INSTALLED
EXTENDED MEMORY: 326656K
CPU CLOCK: 400
CACHE MEMORY: 512 K

Ialso have the rest of the page if necessary.

Edited by messalina, 02 October 2007 - 08:44 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:57 PM

I would first try updating your ATI video drivers (since the error message stated it wasn't working).

#11 messalina

messalina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

Please remember that i know little about computers. What I know for the most part i have learned dealing with this probem. When i got the error about ati2dvag, I called microsoft. Then got online with me went into the drives and did somethin to the Radeon Drive. Now he said he uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. That it was corrupted.

If you mean something other than that please tell me. Garmanma, did you need something else off the ATI box?

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

Just give us the full model number. Microsoft's drivers, while OK, are not as good as going to ATI's site and downloading it there. With the right model number we can link you to the download and walk you through it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#13 messalina

messalina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

I don't see anything that specifically say model #. Here is what you may want, I dunno.

32mb(32bit) DDR with TV

C3D 6052

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

Example:
ATI Radeon xxx xx
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#15 messalina

messalina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

I'm sorry...I have magnified everything on the back of that box and nothing say's ATI anything except, Hyper 1 and Pixel Tapestry.

I have everything in the box and nothing in there mentions Model @ either. I even have the old v-card.

Maybe if you told me what yours is I'd have an idea of what to look for,however the only series of numbers I gave you in the previous post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users