Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem When Trying To Defrag

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

Howdy,

I tried to defrag my computer this morning and ran into a problem.

When I got to the defrag program I clicked on analyze to see if I need to defrag.

Instead of being told whether I needed to defrag or not, this screen popped up.

Posted Image

I then went to run and typed in Chkdsk /f and the following screen came up.

Posted Image

I have never had this happen before.

I have not changed any settings that I know of.

Could someone please explain what is going on ?

Thanks You for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup: Windows XP Home, SP-2, IE-7

Edited by Dennis H, 21 September 2007 - 07:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

I believe the checkdisk /f has to run while Windows is not running. Its harmless to select yes and let it run next time you reboot. After that, you should be able to defrag.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering why this is happening.

I have run the program while online and offline for the last 4 years and have never encountered this before.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Dennis :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

Something has decided that you needed to run chkdsk - what it is depends on what's installed on your system, and what condition the hard drive and operating system files are in. A reboot "should" fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

I typed in yes and than did a reboot.

I tried again and the same screens are coming up.

Anything else I should try ?

Thanks.

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

When the machine is next on
goto run
type "cmd"
type "chkdsk /f"
type "y"
This will schedule checkdisk on next restart.
Now restart the machine.

It will run the check disk program before windows starts. This error message can come up when using Defrag due to a incorrect termination of windows of a previous occurance. Basically if the machine has crashed since it was last run of the system has been hard rebooted by the power button.

This is quite normal and is nothing to worry about. I would make sure the chkdsk is run though so it can fix any file system errors.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

Since it's asking to do chkdsk again, I'd start suspecting an issue with the hard drive.
1) Backup everything important to you - this may be a sign that the drive is dying
2) Go to the website of the hard disk manufacturer and download a hard drive diagnostic utility from there. Run it on your hard disk to see if it's failing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

I tried restarting 4 times and shutting all the way down twice. No luck.

I also tried it twice in safe mode. No luck.

I will give your suggestion a try usasma.

My computer is made by Dell. I assume I should go to thier site for the diagnostic utility ?

Should I give ATF Cleaner a shot ?

Thanks you all for your help !

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:40 AM

I would say that the most important thing right now is to backup your stuff - if the drive fails you'll lose everything.

Dell has diagnsotic utilities built into the system - but the easiest way is to use SIW to identify the drive manufacturer. It's free here: http://www.gtopala.com/

Dell buys parts and puts them together to build their PC's. Since hard drives have a lot of stuff built into them these days, I always recommend that you use a utility from the manufacturer of the drive to get the most accurate results.

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

OK I downloaded the program but I do not know what to do with it.

First things first though.

I am embarrassed to say that I do not have anything backed up.

Which includes hundreds of pictures and over 3000 songs. I am going to go to Radio Shack right now and buy one of those devices to plug in and get this computer backed up.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

As I stated earlier, probably the most important thing is to backup. Once the hard drive dies, it's very difficult to recover things, and if the free recovery tools don't work (which is usually the case with a hardware failure of the drive) then you're looking at about $1600 to recover that stuff (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!)

As for the SIW program - double click on the file and allow it to run. It'll scan your system. Then, under the Harware category, click on Devices, then on Disk Drives. If the name isn't legible to you, let us know what it says and we'll locate the proper manufacturer for you.

#12 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

Howdy usasma,

I now have a back up unit.

The salesman said it has 180gb capability.

I will try your advice regarding how to run the diagnostic program in the morning.

I will also try to use this new device to back up my computer.

THANKS for your time !

Also, Thanks to all who have responded !

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:30 PM

To add to what usasma said about backing up your files:

If you use an email client for mail back up any messages you don't want to lose AND your address book. Everything in your client will be lost if your hard drive fails.

#14 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:36 AM

I am not sure if I should start a new thread or not. ??

I have a Lexmark mass storage usb connected to the computer so I can back everything up.

I went to system properties, clicked on device manager, clicked on disk drives and then clicked on the Lexmark usb. It shows that it is enabled and working properly.

I can not figure out where it is located. The only icon that I see is in my tray by the clock. When I hover the cursor over it it says "Safely Remove Hardware "

Once I find it, is there something I can click on that will allow me to extract everything on my computer at one time.?

Thanks,

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

Open up Windows Explorer (Start...Run...type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Under My Computer should be a drive letter referring to the Lexmark device.

Alternatively, you can select the items that you want to backup by holding down "Ctrl" and clicking on each one (Shift while clicking will get everything from the first one to the last one selected), then right click on the highlighted stuff and select "Send To". The Lexmark device should show up in the Sent To menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users